Ranchers.net Bull Session

"Bubba"

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Chuckie

Postby Chuckie » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:15 pm

well, let's see, if you or your better half has a decent cookbook, you can figure out the basic cuts of beef or pork (or chicken, if you don't know!). there is NO excuse, in my little mind, for anyone who raises an animal for slaughter, to NOT know the basic (primal) cuts, much less the the basic cuts from the primals.

are we so far away from the basics? does not anyone in this country realize the behind the hamburger/steak/pork chop/ham there is an animal that dies?!!!

it's bad enough that the people in the city think beef comes in styrofoam packages, but when the people who actually PRODUCE the raw product don't even know how it's reduced from a 4-legged walking animal to the styrofoam package, that's just sorry.

i think every child in this country should have to take part in butchering, they should have to be hungry enough to not get squeamish about it... i'd best not go on...

Jinglebob
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Jinglebob » Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:07 pm

My point in my question was, how many people on here who are ranchers know where the most expensive cuts of meat come from. Evidently none do.
Toda via estoy aqui. I am still here.
website www.dennisranch.com

longjohn

Postby longjohn » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:33 pm

the loin is the highest priced cuts, but is it the most valueable part of the carcus? ie lbs of loin times price per lb?

Jinglebob
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Jinglebob » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:46 pm

Yes! We have a winner! :lol:

I noticed that most people pick their bulls in the mind of having a big deep hindquarter. While it will add to the weight, the long back is where the high priced cuts seem to come from.

According to Gerald Fry, high maternal qualities go hand in hand with easy calving. Cows should be very feminine and bulls should be very masculine. Makes sense to me.

Helped move some cows after we branded some late ones the other day and one of the guys bulls looked like a real poor steer with a cow head. He sure didn't impress me very much. But then he ain't runnin' with my cows either, so what the hell! :lol:
Toda via estoy aqui. I am still here.

website www.dennisranch.com

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:04 pm

I thought you were kiddin' us, JB. Didn't really realize you were serious~

As for the bulls and the cows. Someone I know (can't remember who) says when women sit in a church pew, they should touch at the hip and men should touch at the shoulders.

Bulls should be bulls and cows should be cows.

One thing that kind of baffles me, is when buying a purebred Angus bull, everyone wants and looks for a bull with a big rear end. However, Angus is a maternal breed and a big rear quarter is a sign of a paternal breed~Charolais, Limo, etc.

So why are we looking for something paternal that could take the femininity out of Angus cows? Isn't that contradictory to the reason for Angus in the first place?

nr
Rancher
Rancher

Postby nr » Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:28 am

Here is some confusing terminology which ranchers don't seem to have problems with fortunately:

Why does a pork BUTT roast come from the shoulder??

Mike
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Mike » Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:47 am

nr wrote:Here is some confusing terminology which ranchers don't seem to have problems with fortunately:

Why does a pork BUTT roast come from the shoulder??

The Boston Butt is from the butt end of the pork shoulder. The Shank portion is the smaller, other end.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Andy

Postby Andy » Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:22 am

One thing that kind of baffles me, is when buying a purebred Angus bull, everyone wants and looks for a bull with a big rear end. However, Angus is a maternal breed and a big rear quarter is a sign of a paternal breed~Charolais, Limo, etc

I don't think that a big rear end is a sign of not being maternal, there are blood lines that are very heavy muscled and still make very good fertile cows. It is just like every other trait that we select for, the more traits you selcet for the lower your standards have to be for the other ones. But i do agree that cow should look like cows and bulls like bulls.

George
Rancher
Rancher

bubba

Postby George » Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:00 pm

I know that if you have read many of my postings you will know I raise registered Charlois but even if I was a herford man I would have to admit Bubba would be a great addition to many of the herds around here.
I know most of you would laugh at my style of raising cattle as I only own 300 acres and row crop 1,500 acres and normally have less than 100 cows but around here that is getting to be a large cattle operation. When I came home from the Marines in 1971every farm around had a few cows - - - now all of the fences are gone and most of the the fields are farmed right up to the blacktop. I know this is supposed to be progress but I hate seeing fields with a 5% or greater slope being in row crops - - it seems that with minium tillage eroision is not as bad as it could be but we still nave to reopen roadside ditches about every three years. Did not have to do that but about every 10 years or so when the marginal fields had cows on them!

Mike
Rancher
Rancher

Re: bubba

Postby Mike » Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:20 pm

George wrote:I know that if you have read many of my postings you will know I raise registered Charlois but even if I was a herford man I would have to admit Bubba would be a great addition to many of the herds around here.
I know most of you would laugh at my style of raising cattle as I only own 300 acres and row crop 1,500 acres and normally have less than 100 cows but around here that is getting to be a large cattle operation. When I came home from the Marines in 1971every farm around had a few cows - - - now all of the fences are gone and most of the the fields are farmed right up to the blacktop. I know this is supposed to be progress but I hate seeing fields with a 5% or greater slope being in row crops - - it seems that with minium tillage eroision is not as bad as it could be but we still nave to reopen roadside ditches about every three years. Did not have to do that but about every 10 years or so when the marginal fields had cows on them!

I have never bred a cow. I would like to breed yours. Come get me.
signed: Bubba

George
Rancher
Rancher

Bubba

Postby George » Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:22 pm

:D Dear Bubba,

We would love it if you came for a visit but the guy who takes care of us is bringing a Black bull this year - - - mabey if we run him off he will let you come, we're sure you would love our cooler Indiana summers. :wink:

Signed, :oops: The girls :D

Mike
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Bubba

Postby Mike » Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:02 pm

George wrote::D Dear Bubba,

We would love it if you came for a visit but the guy who takes care of us is bringing a Black bull this year - - - mabey if we run him off he will let you come, we're sure you would love our cooler Indiana summers. :wink:

Signed, :oops: The girls :D

Dear Girls,
The man who takes care of me is not into the "diversity" thing. Forget it! He'll find me some "nice" girls to mate with!

signed; Bubba :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Ranch Talk”