Ranchers.net Bull Session

Herefords

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Jinglebob
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Jinglebob » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:18 pm

Kate;
Welcome to this site! You can learn a lot here and it's a good way to check out things from all over. Usually someone is close to where you need info or can send you to someone else who has that info.

I like smaller cows and don't know if I'm going to be able to get them unless I go to Correinte or Low Line Angus.

Every one seems to think that smaller isn't better but what if you raised a cow almost the size of a sheep. Think how nice sized the cuts would be for those who don't want a large steak. They feed out lambs and butcher them. Pretty hard to beat an old ewe for efficiancey (sorry for the spelling). And smaller cows would be easier for women and smaller folk to handle also. Sure would be easier on me and my horse when I went to doctor one! Course I guess deep snow could be a problem and everyone would have to lower their feed bunks!

As for longevity, replacing cows in the herd can sure run into a lot of costs. So I guess I'll keep trying to get cowes that are small efficient and live to a ripe old age. Hopefully they will taste good too!

Good to see some new blood on this site. Keep posting as most of the folks on here seem to be good people.
Toda via estoy aqui. I am still here.
website www.dennisranch.com

Return to “Ranch Talk”