Ranchers.net Bull Session

Herefords

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.

Aaron

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:23 pm

Aaron I have read your posts off and on for a while but the one you wrote in this thread really hits the nail on the head. The Hereford breed has taken quite a tumble in Canada from 15 years ago. Bull sales tell the tale. Some breeders have toughed it out but a a lot have moved on.

Sounds like you are well on your way to figuring it out but keep working on the basics and best of luck!

Angus Cattle Shower
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Angus Cattle Shower » Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:24 pm

Why do Hereford have the feather-neckes? Is it dominant? Or is tthe white face dominant? :???: :?

Angus Cattle Shower
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Angus Cattle Shower » Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:25 pm

Why do Hereford have the feather-neckes? Is it dominant? Or is tthe white face dominant?
:???: :?

Northern Rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Northern Rancher » Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:35 pm

Jinglebob are you in around the Black Hills you lucky dog. You've piqued my curiosity now-what kind of critters do you run.

Aaron

Postby Aaron » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:36 pm

The whiteface is dominant and how!...Next door neighbour was purebred Horned Hereford producer for about 15 years who switched to South Devon about 8 years ago. Even after 3-4 generations of South Devon, they still get whitefaces in about 1/4 to 1/2 the herd.

Not sure what a feather-neck is??...But I'll assume for the moment that it is just another term for the white neck. As far as I have ever observed, white necks are dominant and red ones recessive. It's very easy to get even a fleck of white, then a completely solid coloured red neck. I hate red necks, only have a couple purebred cows with them and I wish I didn't. Give me a big 'ole 6 inch band of white across the neck anyday.

Juan

Postby Juan » Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:17 pm

Jinglebob........You better get your head out of your a-- and look around! You right in the middle of some of the best Hereford country in the world.
Question for Aaron.Do the polled herefords still have the weak retractor muscles on the penis? Had a neighbor years ago with polls and thats the way his bulls were,just like the angus!!!!I think with all the infussion of exotic blood the angus are getting better about that.As far as I can see most of them don't even have the angus eye!

[/quote]Never under any circumstance take sleeping pills and a laxative on the same night!
Remember a lone amateur built the Ark and a group of professional built the Titanic!
Juan

Jinglebob
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Jinglebob » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:14 pm

Northern Rancher;
Yes, I'm about 60 miles out on the praire from the Black Hills. Spent the night in the middle of them last night, with my son who is helping to build a log home and I hated it! Too many trees. Makes me claustrophobic! Pretty country , but they all moving in and building there so it's only a matter of time untill they ruin most of the views.
I have Longhorn cross on about everything. Maybe don't raise quite as heavy of a calf but they take care of them and themselvesd and don't seem to need as much tending. Just got a few. Everytime I start to get my herd built up along comes a drought or something to cut down the herd. Been running stockers fro some guys and untill last year seems like it was more profitable than running them on shares with the bank. I did sell one heifer calf this fall that weighed 635, but I think her mother is a Pinzagauer. Nice cow who is in good shape all the time and built pretty square. I never did see how longer legs made cattle any heavier!

Juan;
We only have one hereford breeder close by and he has all of their heads in a feed bucket so they are not the kind of cattle I want to run. Got a neighbor up north of me that probably has as good or better herefords as anyone and we might have to make a deal on a bull this fall. I like horned herefords and don't want them polled. An old feller west of here always claimed when you cut the horns off from a herford cow you just made them stupid! I think he might have been right. Although horns are a pain when trying to get them down a chute. You'll have to give me a call Juan so we can talk and you can tell me where all these good herefords are in this country!

Barknee

Postby Barknee » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:15 pm

Bought a few horned and polled herefords about a year ago. They were a year old. I did everything I could to tame them down but they just go wild when people get too close. Some of them had calves. One needed to be pulled. I think she is more fit to be a rodeo bull the way she acted. She is a good mother.

Aaron

Postby Aaron » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:52 pm

Question for Aaron.Do the polled herefords still have the weak retractor muscles on the penis? Had a neighbor years ago with polls and thats the way his bulls were,just like the angus!!!!

Wow Juan, that's news to me! Never, have I ever heard about weak retractor muscles in the Herefords, polled or horned. That was and still seems to be a problem with the Angus. I wonder what bloodlines your neighbour was using? Maybe, if he was breeding alot of sloppy sheathed gutty bulls, he was breeding all the abdominal muscle out of them. I know that sloppy sheaths and the such seemed to be a big problem in the 80's in the Herefords, but breeders cracked down on that over the last decade and it seems to have fadded away.

I focus on creating and keeping my Herefords a maternal breed, so I use bulls with guts every now and then, along with crossing them with bulls who are pretty athletic. Seems to give my cows that perfect barrel shape, but not a belly a 1/2 foot off of the ground.

Northern Rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Northern Rancher » Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:56 am

jinglebob i was going to guess that lol-i love the black hills-you know dr. ismay in Sturgis.

Jinglebob
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Jinglebob » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:01 am

Northern Rancher;
Ya I know John. Maybe too good! He's who I take horses to. Some people aren't that crazy about him but he's always treated me good and he's a good vet. Had him work on my best horse last fall. He had pigeon fever. Dangedest thing I ever been around. Do you go to John and if so ain't it a long drive?

Northern Rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Northern Rancher » Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:35 am

Ohh Doc Ismay and I go back a long ways-we used to take bulls down to that big sale in Sturgis in April so got to know him them -I haven't went down for a visit since the border closed. John is a fun guy I hung out there for a couple days last trip and he sure B'S ed the customers about what I Did in Canada-according to him I was a horse chiropracter,a Norwegian Fjord breeder,A FDA drug inspector and the head of a Grizzley bear A.I. team lol. John and Bonnie are great people-next time you see him say hi from Canada's greatest bear hunter lol. You must know Brad and Darla Severson also-were good friends with them too-they've even come up here fishing.

Return to “Ranch Talk”