Ranchers.net Bull Session

Grass seed in the mineral

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
lefty

Postby lefty » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:32 pm

we have dry sandy low ph soils . But have a high water table & very high phosphorus levels . Alsack & red clovers & birdsfoot treefoil will grow thatway here at least . Birdsfoot is growing all down the cow trails in the woods from their manure . takes time though .

PATB

Postby PATB » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:20 pm

mrj wrote:Does anyone know if that Anik alfalfa is related to the Falcata alfalfa developed at SD State University many years ago? I believe it was from stands found in NW area of SD, planted by farmers who emigrated from Russia.

mrj

The research papers on yellow alfalfa indicates yes to anik being a falcata type of alfalfa. Does anyone know of a source for a small amount of yellow alfalfa -falcata seed?

andybob
Rancher
Rancher

Postby andybob » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:38 pm

We had a good take of grass and vetch/clover where we put bales of mature (seeded) hay onto denuded parts of the veld, an old mine spoil heap on a neighbours' property was restored to grass by putting down a mixture of seeded hay and wheat straw, the spoil was totally devoid of any foliage for about 50 years prior to the mob grazing of the bales.

C Thompson

Spreading seed through the cows

Postby C Thompson » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:13 pm

This summer we had Jim Gerrish up here on a four day pasture walk on four different places in four different geo climactic zones. One place was grazing mustard under center pivot irrigation to control it as it was out competing alfalfa that was planted the year before. Someone brought up the idea that it was believed that you could spread seed by running it through the cows first simply by mixing it in with the mineral. Jim claimed that they had done studies to see if it would work with several types of legumes and grass and found that very few seeds survive the trip through the cow and certainly not enough to spread it in that manner cost effectively. He felt it was better to broadcast the seed ahead of the cattle and use managed grazing to let the cows tilth it in. He would be able to give the specifics on the studies if you contact him. Hope this is helpful info.

George
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Grass seed in the mineral

Postby George » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:49 pm

An old topic - - - did any body get some of the yellow alfalfa seed and try it in their mineral? I was never able to find the seed but wanted to try a small plot and did not hear any more.
Watch your thoughts, they become your words.
Watch your words, they become your actions.
Watch your actions, they become your habits.
Watch your habits, they become your character.
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.

Cowpuncher

Postby Cowpuncher » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:36 pm

George,

We planted several hundred pounds of yellow alfalfa seed when reseeding some CRP. The only alfalfa that
came up was blue. We told the seed company and they replaced the entire shipment - and the new seed didn't do much
better. Quite a bit of the seed leaked in the delivery truck and I threw it out near my driveway. Although there were several
pound of seed involved, now a single plant grew.

I finally gave it up. True falcata comes from somewhere else.

CP
If it was easy, someone would have already done it.

George
Rancher
Rancher

Postby George » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:11 pm

Thanks for the input

DejaVu

Postby DejaVu » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:08 pm

George, I put grass seed in my mineral this year. I can't tell you how it worked out but it should be good as we've had above average rainfall. I had a seed company make the mix for me. It was a blend of native varieties. Big Blue, Little Blue, Side oats, Indian Grass were some I can remember. I mixed it in early in the grazing season when the cows manure would be nearly liquid. I quit when pink eye started and my attention was diverted towards that. Cows ate the mineral/grass seed mix without hesitation.

When I initially called to see about getting the seed, the salesman talked down to me. I could tell he thought I was delusional. He said to give him a couple of days and check back. When I did, he had an entirely different attitude. He said "This will work. I had no idea. Please let me know how this turns out for you."

George
Rancher
Rancher

Postby George » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:23 am

I think I am going to try one bag of alfalfa and see what happens

Angus 62

Postby Angus 62 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:54 am

I don't know about grass seed but I've seen enough alfalfa and clover seed coming up in cowpies to think at least some of it exits the cow as viable seed. I know I have never intentionally planted one seed of sweet clover but as I started planting crop land into grass it started showing up. It had to of lain in the soil for a long time. I've also had pastures with very little alfalfa suddenly develop a decent stand. If I let alfalfa mature and develop seed before grazing I'm assured it will eventually come back.

Return to “Ranch Talk”