Ranchers.net Bull Session

Rancher quiz--what do you do in a situation like this?

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Brad S
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Brad S » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:48 am

Another great "soapweed way" thanks for the pics. THe calm demeanor and thoughtful aproach are tough to beat.

Saddletramp

Postby Saddletramp » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:39 am

Usually when I get in situations like this, I just scratch my head, look at Soapweed and wait and see what he comes up with.
A good wife, one good horse and a pickup that runs!

Buckerette

Postby Buckerette » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:06 am

We took our bull skunk to our first futurity (where they buck with a dummy and compete against other bulls for points). The morning of, we went to load him and take him to the arena (pens were a little ways away). When we went to get him he had his head stuck in the panel. He was probably like that since 10 pm (and it was 7 am). We tried to put a shirt over his eyes and a rope around his horns to ease him out. That didn't work. We tried no shirt just the rope. Nope. He fought us so much that I was worried he'd either break something or have a heart attack. Ended up having to run to the office and get a hack saw. This is one of the meanest bulls I've ever known. Hot! Not this day. We had to immediatly load him and take him to buck. He was calm. So calm I thought he wouldn't buck. He did! He was awesome for 4 seconds, then got slower and slower. Ended up placing 16th out of 40. Not bad for fighting with a panel all night.

The next futurity he went to he was so mean that he forgot to buck (literally). I'm thinking of getting his head stuck in a panel everytime we take him somewhere.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:13 am

Good story!!! I liked it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

George
Rancher
Rancher

Postby George » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:21 pm

I have been introduced to animals that mean then one of the small factories I used to truck for had a really nice man that owned it. He along with just about every one I knew took it upon themselves to try to get this ex Marine married and he hooked me up with his secretary.

I know Faster Horses and Jersey Lilly will not like it but the meanest things I have evewr met are females - - - I guess I just needed the right spurs dug in me though as I have been married to the same woman 32 years the 18th of this month. Can you believe she has put up with me that long??? I guess I must have some good qualities.

nr
Rancher
Rancher

Postby nr » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:37 pm

George wrote:I have been introduced to animals that mean then one of the small factories I used to truck for had a really nice man that owned it. He along with just about every one I knew took it upon themselves to try to get this ex Marine married and he hooked me up with his secretary.

I know Faster Horses and Jersey Lilly will not like it but the meanest things I have evewr met are females - - - I guess I just needed the right spurs dug in me though as I have been married to the same woman 32 years the 18th of this month. Can you believe she has put up with me that long??? I guess I must have some good qualities.

Chew any tough hide long enough it eventually softens.

Northern Rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Northern Rancher » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:55 am

A better post would be 'What would you say in a situation like this ' lol.

Angus Breeder

Postby Angus Breeder » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:55 am

To avoid future complications I would fasten a wire cattle panel to the outside of the angle iron.

the_jersey_lilly_2000
Rancher
Rancher

Postby the_jersey_lilly_2000 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:01 am

In reply to George's Post about females bein mean ........ WE HAVE TO BE!!!! Just ask my hubby of 21 years, he'll agree wholeheartedly hehehe j/k
Life is a roller coaster.
You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it!
¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸
"Ever day's a good day, just some are better'n others"

Buckerette

Postby Buckerette » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:52 am

George wrote:I know Faster Horses and Jersey Lilly will not like it but the meanest things I have evewr met are females - - - I guess I just needed the right spurs dug in me though as I have been married to the same woman 32 years the 18th of this month. Can you believe she has put up with me that long??? I guess I must have some good qualities.

Congratulations!! 32 years is quite an accomplishment!

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:59 am

I've been being mean to my husband for over 42 years now, and he's still around to take it.

Remember, behind every man there's a mean, er, I mean good, woman!!! :wink: :lol: :shock:

George
Rancher
Rancher

Postby George » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:02 am

I think that the biggest part of my lasting 32 years is working at it (on both parts) I would love to say I'm perfect and I try to be but I have more bad spots than a barrel of rotten apples.

Another part of it was that I didn't get married untill I was 25 and had completed the Marines ( grew up a lot) - - - I was old enough to not do some of the stupid things I would have done when I was younger.

I wear a WWJD bracelet at all times and try to conduct my life as such. Just to show what a sense of humor Jesus has I did not know the bracelet had magnets in it ( my mother gave it to me) but about 30 days after I started wearing it my arthritus in my hands has gotten so much better ( both hands not just the one with the bracelet) that I could not believe it. I don't know if the bracelet, magnets, or anything else made the differance but something did.

Return to “Ranch Talk”