Ranchers.net Bull Session

Ear tags

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.

What do you prefer for a tag, one piece or two piece tags?

One piece
41%
Two piece (tag and button)
59%

Total votes: 29

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:33 am

ranchwife wrote:
smalltime wrote:why don't you explain that last post horseman. All brand"s of tags can fade,break,or rip out.A tatoo is better for identification.I have no desire to ranch "bigtime" as you call it doc.I'll just leave the business to the factory farms.In my opinion most feedlot meat be it beef ,pork or poultry all taste and smell the same .

don't let "horseman" get to you, smalltime!!! He is new to these boards and has yet to realize that the smartass comments are best kept on the bull session board!!! Here on ranch talk and coffee shop, we do our best to get along and keep it light!!!! I, too, have found myself on the cutting edge of his tongue....and i have never done a darned thing to him!!! So, don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff!! :wink:

Horseman seems mighty familiar. Could he be related to that horses back end that's been kicked off of here a few times?

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

ranchwife
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ranchwife » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:37 am

Big Muddy rancher wrote:
ranchwife wrote:
smalltime wrote:why don't you explain that last post horseman. All brand"s of tags can fade,break,or rip out.A tatoo is better for identification.I have no desire to ranch "bigtime" as you call it doc.I'll just leave the business to the factory farms.In my opinion most feedlot meat be it beef ,pork or poultry all taste and smell the same .

don't let "horseman" get to you, smalltime!!! He is new to these boards and has yet to realize that the smartass comments are best kept on the bull session board!!! Here on ranch talk and coffee shop, we do our best to get along and keep it light!!!! I, too, have found myself on the cutting edge of his tongue....and i have never done a darned thing to him!!! So, don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff!! :wink:

Horseman seems mighty familiar. Could he be related to that horses back end that's been kicked off of here a few times?

Sounds like he needs to be "put to pasture" again!! :wink:
Love wins....ennis, montana....June 14, 2003!!!
Never forget!

Northern Rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Northern Rancher » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:43 am

I like Z tags-easily the best tagger going-we tag with the cows number at birth than put another with individual number if we retain for breeding-number brand our hfrs too-can you tell I like to know whos who out there lol. We used to use those engraveable tags but they are a pain when you grass calve lots of time you onlyt get one chance to tag a calf-a tag pen pretty easy to pack in the saddle bags.

smalltime

Postby smalltime » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:03 am

Tha nks ranchwife for the advice.I don't realey care what horseman thinks of me or my way of raising cattle.All Hereford.And proud of it.

ranchwife
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ranchwife » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:10 am

smalltime wrote:Tha nks ranchwife for the advice.I don't realey care what horseman thinks of me or my way of raising cattle.All Hereford.And proud of it.

good for you, smalltime!!! My dad raised registered hereford in north dakota...still loves to banter with the hubby over his choice of registered angus!!! :D
Love wins....ennis, montana....June 14, 2003!!!

Never forget!

George
Rancher
Rancher

Postby George » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:11 am

Smalltime,

I tattoo my cattle for regestery purposes - - - however the only way I can read the tattoos is in the chute and I like to be able to tell someone to watch # XXX and the tags are a great help.

Yes I need to reink some of the tags from time to time but I have the cattle thru the chute normally twice a year so that is not a problem. In the early years I tried several brands of tags but since going to Temple I have stuck with them. I feel they save me a lot more time than any other item in use.

Return to “Ranch Talk”