Ranchers.net Bull Session

Frozen water line HELP

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
frenchie

Re: Frozen water line HELP

Postby frenchie » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:44 pm

Big Muddy rancher wrote::help: The over flow line from my spring comes from the spring cribbing down to the trough. In the real cold weather the trough froze over and the line froze back up to the cribbing and now I have no overflow. I can get to the bottom of the line as it is open but can't get the ice up the hill to melt out. I tried using my truck exhaust but that hardly touched it.. Any ideas? :cowboy:

Get a small hose long enougth to go the distance and fit it to a backpack weedsprayer filled with hot water and push it through the line.

Guys at the local plumbing shop unthaw lines like this all the time.

I unthawed my waterlines to my outdoor boiler with the same small hose attached to a garden hose.Worked real fast.

good luck.

Manitoba_Rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Manitoba_Rancher » Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:22 am

BMR,

Frenchie has a darn good idea there, we use a small weed sprayer container and pump with 3/8 or 1/2 inch anhydrous line. We ve thawed water line out that was frozen 15 feet in the ground this way. Fill the sprayer with good hot water and pump away. Unthaws in minutes! Go get some anhydrous line cut off 50 ft tie it on to the sprayer jug and your ready to roll. If you need more assistance Ive got a lot more inventions for thawing out frozen water lines. email me :cowboy:

Jinglebob
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Jinglebob » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:38 am

Wonder why a guy in Manitoba would have lots of ways to thawe out a waterline? :-)

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:25 am

Jinglebob wrote:Wonder why a guy in Manitoba would have lots of ways to thawe out a waterline? :-)

Maybe his adress is "TUNDRAVILLE" .

These have all been good ideas I tried my pressure washer filled with hot water but I think I need to feed a longer line in. I wish I could adapt my pressure tip to the hose and not use the wand as i could get up up the line farther.

Thanks again for the ideas, even Dynamite Mike, :cowboy:

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

sk

Postby sk » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:02 pm

Get pails of hot water and a pump to feed into a small line and feed the line in the frozen pipe. The jet of hot water will thaw pipe as fast as you can keep pushing the smaller pipe in .

alabama
Rancher
Rancher

Postby alabama » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:47 am

You could do as we in Alabama do. Just take a break sitting by the fire till it worms up outside. It seems that people are in such a hurry. Why break your neck working on things that will take care of themselves anyway. However if you drink a little too much resting by the fire then dynamite is always the best solution. "Hay y'all hold my drink and watch this."

katrina
Rancher
Rancher

Postby katrina » Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:05 am

Sounds like a good job for some whiskey. Pour half down the pipe, light a match, if that don't work just drink rest of the whiskey. By the time you get the whiskey drank, who cares about a frozen water pipe.!!!!

Just kidding... Good Luck!

Return to “Ranch Talk”