Ranchers.net Bull Session

Heat synchronization

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
alabama
Rancher
Rancher

Postby alabama » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:38 am

I have talked with several that use CIDR's 2 times and they say that it workes even better the second time. Just wash them good and store in a zip lock bag in the frezer. I plan to use mine 3 times. At $10 bucks a pop it is worth a try.
Denny I put somthing in the mail for you this morning. I am still having lots of fun with that bumper sticker.

Northern Rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Northern Rancher » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:12 am

We've done it but if you can avoid it I would-you'll lose a few out of bigger cows because they aren't as springy-and it is really hard to get them perfectly clean. Always wash in cold water too. The only time I'd do it is from heifers to cows in my own herd. They are the grossest thing to wash-trust me.

canadian angus

Postby canadian angus » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:59 am

In herd use is probably OK, however do not put in freezer, dark cool place is better.

CA

katrina
Rancher
Rancher

Postby katrina » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:27 pm

I'll second that on washing them, they are real disgusting... I wear latex gloves when I insert cidrs and give shots...

Mike
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Mike » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:48 pm

Spent all day putting in Cidr's a few years back. Didn't wear gloves and got the stuff all over my hands. Female hormones.
Woke up the next morning wearing the wife's bra. :shock: :???:
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Denny » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:13 pm

Alabama wrote:I have talked with several that use CIDR's 2 times and they say that it workes even better the second time. Just wash them good and store in a zip lock bag in the frezer. I plan to use mine 3 times. At $10 bucks a pop it is worth a try.
Denny I put somthing in the mail for you this morning. I am still having lots of fun with that bumper sticker.

Are you working harder????

Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Denny » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:15 pm

Mike wrote:Spent all day putting in Cidr's a few years back. Didn't wear gloves and got the stuff all over my hands. Female hormones.

Were you Bitchy??

Mike
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Mike » Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:04 pm

Denny Blowers wrote:
Mike wrote:Spent all day putting in Cidr's a few years back. Didn't wear gloves and got the stuff all over my hands. Female hormones.

Were you Bitchy??

I was. Felt like going shopping too! :wink:
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Denny » Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:17 pm

Mike wrote:
Denny Blowers wrote:

Were you Bitchy??

I was. Felt like going shopping too! :wink:

Did you have your hair done?

Oh and how about shoes just had to buy them there so cute. :wink:

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:29 am

Northern Rancher, I use the same protocaol with estradiol and such and have had good success. I will not try any thing else I have had to many wrecks with MGA and fat hfrs, and poor conception rates (50%).

txag

Postby txag » Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:39 am

Alabama wrote:I have talked with several that use CIDR's 2 times and they say that it workes even better the second time. Just wash them good and store in a zip lock bag in the frezer. I plan to use mine 3 times. At $10 bucks a pop it is worth a try.

We've used them twice but never three times. Our embryologist recommended not using them more than twice and always a new one for the donor. :-)

alabama
Rancher
Rancher

Postby alabama » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:42 am

I pull cidrs tomorrow afternoon and give shots. I will let you know how the washing goes. I have another set ready to put cidrs in next Thursday so we will find out how the second time around works.
Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr 22 deg at my house this morning with a heavy frost. I even had to get up, turn on the heat, and back in the bed until the house wormed up. I bet it froze all the plum blooms.
Calling for rain tonight so I guess I, will plant corn the second weekend in March?

Return to “Ranch Talk”