Ranchers.net Bull Session

Manitobans- a question

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Oldtimer

Manitobans- a question

Postby Oldtimer » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:34 pm

I have a question of Manitobans-- I heard on the radio the other day where the Manitoba government is sponsoring an immigration program to get US young people to go to Manitoba to farm and ranch... You have to show you have at least $150,000 available to invest in cattle and equipment and they help you get set up with a place....Said they are trying to build up the population and get idle land under use...

Is there that much unused land sitting around Manitoba that they have to import people to farm it?.........

SASH

Postby SASH » Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:42 pm

Maybe if you went real far up north but land around my area is in high demand and the price just keeps going up. Guys are paying upwards of $2500-$3000 per acre for land for potatoes and specialty crops. Even real poor grazing land (8 acres to a cow) runs around $300 an acre.
"Red meat is NOT bad for you. Now, blue-green meat - THAT'S bad for you!"

rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby rancher » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:55 pm

"Even real poor grazing land (8 acres to a cow"

That is poor grazing land. Then what do you call good grazing land? We run about 22-25 acres a cow and it is going for over $200 lately. :roll:
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

SASH

Postby SASH » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:59 pm

Then what do you call good grazing land? We run about 22-25 acres a cow and it is going for over $200 lately.

Well, maybe you should come on up. But I warn you its cold. Up here we only have two kinds of weather 9 months of winter and three months of poor sledding.
"Red meat is NOT bad for you. Now, blue-green meat - THAT'S bad for you!"

rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby rancher » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:43 pm

We don't exactly live the banana belt either, more like the frigid desert.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

frenchie

Postby frenchie » Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:43 pm

rancher wrote:We don't exactly live the banana belt either, more like the frigid desert.

Oh and Rancher if you ever come up here........it rains in Manitoba, so be prepared in case you have ,nt ever seen rain before.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby rancher » Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:15 pm

I would just jinx it for you. Would like to see what it looks like though. I posted a reply awhile ago, but one of the black helicopters must have shot it down as it didn't show up here.

Mike
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Mike » Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:19 pm

rancher wrote:I would just jinx it for you. Would like to see what it looks like though. I posted a reply awhile ago, but one of the black helicopters must have shot it down as it didn't show up here.

Wish you would come down and jinx awhile for us! Been raining about every other day for about a month. All-day-long rains too! That dang Haymaker's sending it up here from Texas!
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby rancher » Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:36 pm

I think I will get a rain magnet and draw it over here. This flu sucks!!!!

frenchie

Postby frenchie » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:14 pm

rancher wrote:I think I will get a rain magnet and draw it over here. This flu sucks!!!!

No No ....You are going about it the wrong way....You got to try a rain dance ...........Image

rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby rancher » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:54 pm

Where did you get the cute M &M? I want one

frenchie

Postby frenchie » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:06 pm

rancher wrote:Where did you get the cute M &M? I want one

Right click on it and it will say save picture save it to your computer.Make sure you don,t save it as a bmp file type .

Do you know how to use photobucket?

Return to “Ranch Talk”