Ranchers.net Bull Session

loading silage from the silage pile.

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
katrina
Rancher
Rancher

loading silage from the silage pile.

Postby katrina » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:18 pm

My husband tells me I load wrong from the silage pile. He scoops across the pile area keeping it flat. I scoop from the bottom and scoop into the pile... who is right???

Mike
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Mike » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:34 pm

We need more info before we can advise.
Is it dirt or concrete underneath the pile?
Who can load the wagon faster? You or Hubby?
Which end are you loading from? North South East West
Does the tractor/loader leak oil or fuel?
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

katrina
Rancher
Rancher

Postby katrina » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:41 pm

It's dirt uder the pile... The silage is tarped so we pull the tarp back and start at one end and work to the other end. It's a toss up on who's faster. I would say I am.. He piddles by gettting in and out to scoop by hand. I don't scoop by hand because I do it right the first time. No oil or gas leaks. My jd is a cherry....

Mike
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Mike » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:03 pm

katrina wrote:It's dirt uder the pile... The silage is tarped so we pull the tarp back and start at one end and work to the other end. It's a toss up on who's faster. I would say I am.. He piddles by gettting in and out to scoop by hand. I don't scoop by hand because I do it right the first time. No oil or gas leaks. My jd is a cherry....

OK here is my opinion then. If you get no dirt in with the silage you are the one who is doing it right. Especially on the hand scooping. :lol2:
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

feeder

Postby feeder » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:27 pm

My husband scoops from the bottom. So you must be doing it right cuz my husband wouldn't be doing it wrong!! LOL

Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Denny » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:03 pm

Depends how hard the pile is also if you dig deep into one spot it gives other areas time to start to spoil.Your husband most likely takes a little off the whole surface insureing the quality of the silage remains fresh everyday.My piles are packed so hard you cant just dig in I need to scrape it down then load.

I just feed mine anymore with a hot wire strung across kinda like a self feeder set the height and distance and just move your wire everyday,There are some cows who dont eat due to being timid so its not fool proof.Also if you feed this way dont I REPEAT DONT make your pile taller than 6 ft.3 years ago we had a pile 12 ft. high the cows ate under the top caved in on them I lost 7 cows that day it made for some expensive feed.

katrina
Rancher
Rancher

Postby katrina » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:20 pm

Denny, what do you use to pack your silage? I wouldn't say ours is real hard. We use an 8630 jd.

Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Denny » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:59 pm

katrina wrote:Denny, what do you use to pack your silage? I wouldn't say ours is real hard. We use an 8630 jd.

1805 massey with fluid and wheel weights.

I had a friend feed for my a few years ago he tried to dig in and lift he bent the cylanders on my loader its packed hard.

Does your silage heat. Mine is cold if yours is cold its packed.

katrina
Rancher
Rancher

Postby katrina » Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:32 pm

Our's is hot or warm......Anyway steam rises..... Ours is probally 15 ft to 18 ft high. I know when I was packing it, in the tractor I could see over the tree row and on to the shed roof. I'm scared of heights, so after I could look over the trees, I quit... I could go up, but I couldn't get back down. I froze up... Couldn't clutch or anything. I just couldn't handle it...

Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Denny » Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:47 pm

katrina wrote:Our's is hot or warm......Anyway steam rises..... Ours is probally 15 ft to 18 ft high. I know when I was packing it, in the tractor I could see over the tree row and on to the shed roof. I'm scared of heights, so after I could look over the trees, I quit... I could go up, but I couldn't get back down. I froze up... Couldn't clutch or anything. I just couldn't handle it...

My kids pack ours but there is always an adult working the pile also.We dont build them that high anymore wide and short that way more cows can line up to the buffet..

katrina
Rancher
Rancher

Postby katrina » Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:55 pm

Thanks Denny, That was very educational..I never heard of a self feed buffet for cows... :D

DaleK

Piles

Postby DaleK » Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:28 am

I'm with Denny. If you scoop into the pile, you also loosen up the rest of the pile back in several inches if not feet, and that lets air get in. If you're feeding a foot a day that probably wouldn't matter, otherwise, scraping across the face will loosen it less and keep the face fresh.

Return to “Ranch Talk”