Ranchers.net Bull Session

loading silage from the silage pile.

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
canadian angus

Postby canadian angus » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:20 am

Does string ever bring a slide show to me, not only in the thought of silage and computors. Let me explain, I grow up with our place putting silage up with a flail cutter, hauling with a wagon, a wire apron on the bottom, pulling it out into the pit, spreading with forks and at the end of the day packing with a 9 N ford tractor.

Come winter hauling with a sliegh, but better yet our front end loader was an axe, and a fork. Flail choppers left the silage up to 16 inches long. We would start a colt with an older horse in the fall and come spring the new horse was seasoned.

When I said about te slide show, funny in the late 50's and 60's computers were not in my vocabulory, or was a front end loader.

Guess that is progress, now we have time to play on this silly thing, young people have time to get into trouble, dream of new machinery, not be too tired to go to bed at nite but talk to people around the world in this site.

Not complaining but comparing times.

CA and now we have big bales.......Yeah

Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Denny » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:32 pm

canadian angus wrote:Does string ever bring a slide show to me, not only in the thought of silage and computors. Let me explain, I grow up with our place putting silage up with a flail cutter, hauling with a wagon, a wire apron on the bottom, pulling it out into the pit, spreading with forks and at the end of the day packing with a 9 N ford tractor.

Come winter hauling with a sliegh, but better yet our front end loader was an axe, and a fork. Flail choppers left the silage up to 16 inches long. We would start a colt with an older horse in the fall and come spring the new horse was seasoned.

When I said about te slide show, funny in the late 50's and 60's computers were not in my vocabulory, or was a front end loader.

Guess that is progress, now we have time to play on this silly thing, young people have time to get into trouble, dream of new machinery, not be too tired to go to bed at nite but talk to people around the world in this site.

Not complaining but comparing times.

CA and now we have big bales.......Yeah

The 50s and 60s my dad was a kid then.My dads family crop farmed in southern Mn they planted 3000 acres of crops with 9 DC case tractors.

My grandfather passed away a few years ago the family made a book of his life he was an orphan at 15 with 5 sisters he started farming useing horses and ended with 4 wd steigers.He sure seen alot in his day..

Return to “Ranch Talk”