Ranchers.net Bull Session

Grazing Insurance?

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Oldtimer

Grazing Insurance?

Postby Oldtimer » Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:02 am

A Question?- Anybody buying grazing drought insurance? I was talking to the banker today and he was really pushing it (altho he is also selling it).. Says it is only available until March 15...
I've always been kind of prone to ride out what comes and make the decisions as the cards come down- but anymore I'm not leasing a bunch of grass that might not be there either... He says he's signed up thousands of acres in the last few weeks.......

sw
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sw » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:06 am

OT,
I am thinking that it can't be a bad thing, went to a forum type meeting with our banker, he is also selling it. He called yesterday to remind me. As I look out at the dust blowing past, I just can't help but think that it will pay off. Have a good day
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE. FREEDOM IS BOUGHT AND PAID FOR BY THE BRAVE SO THE FREE CAN BE FREE.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:56 am

We have had a pilot program here the past three years and it has been good. I would advise getting it. Sure has helped us here. The problem with the pilot program is no one knew what the payments were figured on. Custer County last year protested the amount paid and they got more as a result. Yep, if history is any indication, it is a good thing to do.

Kate/wy

signed up

Postby Kate/wy » Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:00 pm

One can't count on much grass for income. Take several years of above moisture here to get back grass.

Buckskin

Postby Buckskin » Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:05 pm

Oldtimer
I haven't been in yet. Do you know what it costs and how much it pays if you have a loss?
Buckskin :???: :???: :???:

Buckskin

Postby Buckskin » Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:08 pm

I just can't get use to this new format. Just not as fun!! :( :(
Buckskin

Oldtimer

Postby Oldtimer » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:32 pm

sw wrote:OT,
I am thinking that it can't be a bad thing, went to a forum type meeting with our banker, he is also selling it. He called yesterday to remind me. As I look out at the dust blowing past, I just can't help but think that it will pay off. Have a good day

Buckskin- The banker was busy and wanted me to stop back in next week and go over the details if I was interested, so I got little on numbers info-- he did mention their was different payment methods for deeded, BLM or state lease, cash private lease, etc........But it did sound like you could get it on everything, even tribal lease...

Sounds like you did OK on those calves- anytime you can get that price you can't sneeze at it....

I could have got you some bred black two year old heifers last week for $675- late March calvers----But you and the vet might have had to live with them-- weighed 690lbs--off the res.....I thought my son was going to deck me when I kiddingly told him I'd bought them for him :D

Hanta Yo
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Hanta Yo » Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:05 pm

OT,

You meanie. :lol: Good thing your son knew you better or he would have decked you! :wink:
'It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession.
I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.'
-Ronald Reagan

rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby rancher » Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:38 am

Faster Horses I think it was 3 years ago that Custer Co. got upset. They were paid on a 30 % drought, when all counties around them were paid on a 80% drought. The FSA office had Custer at 80 % but the GRP listed them at 30%. In Powder River County we did ok, they have changed it so the premium is higher and the pay out lower. I don't know how they are getting the figures to determine the payout though.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

Jason
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Jason » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:15 am

Sounds like a subsidy to me

rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby rancher » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:41 pm

Jason, then so is your health insurance, oh thats right you don't have health insurance, sounds like a subsidy to me. I am paying a $3-$4000 premium on this that will only pay off if we have a 80% drought.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

Mike
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Mike » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:59 pm

rancher wrote:Jason, then so is your health insurance, oh thats right you don't have health insurance, sounds like a subsidy to me. I am paying a $3-$4000 premium on this that will only pay off if we have a 80% drought.

How is an 80% drought determined? A drought is a drought. If you don't have enough water to make grass grow and feed the cows, you don't have enough. Or would that be, enough water to make enough grass to feed 80% of your cows? Just wondering..... :???:
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Return to “Ranch Talk”