Ranchers.net Bull Session

Grazing Insurance?

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby rancher » Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:32 pm

You have lost 80% of your grass to drought, so you only grow 20% of what you should. The sad thing is they say normal is like the last 5-10 years, and the last 5-10 years have been a high % drought years. I say our weather starting changing in 1979 to drier climate. We used to have one bad year, but could count on the next year being good. Now if we have one good year out of 5 we are doing good. They say black helicopters are messing with our jet stream. If it doesn't start raining I might start believing them. Tied horses up in a mud puddle I made for them, so better get the feet trimmed and chores done.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby rancher » Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:36 pm

I think you can buy in for 65% drought and different levels on up. Seems like the first one only paid much in a 80% drought.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

sw
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sw » Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:44 pm

rancher,
you can buy levels up to 90% and down to 50. The higher the level the higher the premium but the higher the payout. Each county has different premiums based on the county production levels. We decided that protection of about 75% or something in the middle would be good enough and not quite so costy.
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE. FREEDOM IS BOUGHT AND PAID FOR BY THE BRAVE SO THE FREE CAN BE FREE.

Mike
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Mike » Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:04 pm

Truly wish I could send some rain from down here. Supposed to rain ALL night.

rancher:"They say black helicopters are messing with our jet stream. If it doesn't start raining I might start believing them"

Old guys in the coffee shop the other morning saying about the same thing. They were blaming all this rain on the satellites orbiting earth. I jokingly asked one if he had any scientific evidence of this.
He said, "hell yea, just look outside, there's all the evidence you need". :oops: :oops:
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

don
Rancher
Rancher

Postby don » Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:35 pm

when we were farming in alberta we rented a quarter from an elderly lady who lived in iowa. in the mid-eighties she told me it was the russians who were messing up the american weather patterns. couldn't bring myself to ask her just how the russians managed that.

Mike
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Mike » Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:41 pm

don wrote:when we were farming in alberta we rented a quarter from an elderly lady who lived in iowa. in the mid-eighties she told me it was the russians who were messing up the american weather patterns. couldn't bring myself to ask her just how the russians managed that.

I can hear her now, "it's them sputnicks flying all around up there." :lol2:
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Return to “Ranch Talk”