Ranchers.net Bull Session

Calf Sled?

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Hayguy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Hayguy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:16 am

Must be getting older, because I really like Peach's atv mounted calf catcher contraption. provides protection for both the calf and the operator. just haven't found one similar up here yet. have used one of these for several years now, but have the same issues as everyone else.... http://www.koendersmfg.com/sled.html#calf

flyingS

Postby flyingS » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:15 am

If I were building a sled similar to the Palco that is in the link I posted, I would make it so that the calf sets cross ways instead of lenght ways. I would also make sure that there is at least 6" or better of tubing extended past the cradles so that no matter which way I put the calf on there would be something to help support his head, I might weld strap or something to make it wider and line it with baler belt to keep calves from freezing to it. If I were to make it on a pull type sled I would want to make sure the runners were far enough apart that I could comfortably walk between them to set a calf on the sled and make sure that the cradle is high enough that I can comfortable set the calf on and take it off as well as tag or whatever I might accomplish while he is on it. One other thing that I found to be nice on the one I used, there was a bar between the cradle arms that way you supported the calfs rib cage and he couldn't squirm around and fall out of it. If you are interested in something like this JF let me know. I could probably call Sparky on the phone or draw it on a napkin and he would have one built in a couple of hours. Or if you have the iron I can come give you a hand. I can't do much else with this broken collar bone.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:12 pm

hayguy wrote:Must be getting older, because I really like Peach's atv mounted calf catcher contraption. provides protection for both the calf and the operator. just haven't found one similar up here yet. have used one of these for several years now, but have the same issues as everyone else.... http://www.koendersmfg.com/sled.html#calf

I thought it was Soderglen at Strathmore that invented the "Shark cage". :?

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Hayguy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Hayguy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:27 pm

Big Muddy rancher wrote:
hayguy wrote:Must be getting older, because I really like Peach's atv mounted calf catcher contraption. provides protection for both the calf and the operator. just haven't found one similar up here yet. have used one of these for several years now, but have the same issues as everyone else.... http://www.koendersmfg.com/sled.html#calf

I thought it was Soderglen at Strathmore that invented the "Shark cage". :?

Airdrie actually, now being made by 2w, heavy and tow behind http://www.two-w.com/shark_overview.htm am guessing that it wouldn't "bounce" though :wink: :lol:

tamarack

Postby tamarack » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:10 pm

This calf catcher is one that a i had made by the neighbour welder i gave him an old bale feeder and wheels off a old combine pickup header and he welded it together works great can weigh,tag, band and give the shots safely [URL=http://s996.photobucket.com/user/tamarackaj/media/106.jpg.html]Image[/URL

Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Denny » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:05 pm

You guy's must not have any mud. There would be 3 weeks here dureing calveing you could'nt get around to use one of those contraptions.They look handy but my place is a mudhole has been all spring this year.
If your dreams don't scare you there not big enough!

JF Ranch

Postby JF Ranch » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:09 pm

Thanks for the many nice responses. Sorry, I've been away from Ranchers.net since I put up the original post.

My old home made sled has a cage which keeps the momma safely away from the calf. It has a rear gate that allows you to pull or push a calf in if he's standing up, or pull him in with a hind leg if he's laying down.

The disadvantage with the "cradle type" like the PALCO style, is that you need to lift the slimy newborn into position, getting your gloves, etc. pretty wet. I use a short hook with a T-handle to pull the messy newborn into my cage, keeping me relatively dry & clean. Plus, if the cow is protective, I can snag the baby at a relatively safe distance without getting creamed by the mother.

I'm curious if anyone has experience with the yellow Sun-Tag Sled in the second link I posted? It has a front slot for holding a back leg (see the photos). This idea appeals to me for the reasons mentioned above because I could use the hook above the calf's hock to pull the him into the sled and still get the leg into the slot without manhandling a wet baby.
Just think, if it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all.

Hayguy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Hayguy » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:28 pm

O.K. bringing this back up as i have a neighbor asking about the Sun-Tag one's. does anybody have any experience with them?

Battle T

Postby Battle T » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:18 pm

I have a sun tag one and swear by it has a loop to hook the calf's back leg into it and easy to dump calf out. I do need to modify it a bit as cows tend to step on the last 6" of it. The fact that you can hook the bak leg of the calf to the front with the calfs head to the back meant cow looks at calf instead at pilot. I don't have to drag many but with an aluminum shepherd's hook and this I don't have any issues getting a calf where I want.

S.S.A.P.

Postby S.S.A.P. » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:52 pm

We're using the sun tag - like the leg hold, skids better than the smaller version we had been using. Cow still manages to step on the back occasionally but it beats the alternative of chasing a mama that won't follow. I watched our son use it 3 times this afternoon while we were sorting to pens under the cameras :) :P It may sound stupid but those higher sides make me feel a bit braver - that will change when the first cows clears it :? knock on wood!

Sandhills boy

Postby Sandhills boy » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:37 pm

I would go with cage type to keep them from stepping on the little ones. I built one, in couple hrs out of old scrap, can get you a picture or two of it if you want, I don't like handling the slimy little bastards when I don't have too. I made gate on the back of mine ( nice to drag them in instead of lifting them) with cut up hog panel for sides so they can see them, wide and long enough not to tip on uneven ground and expansion metal on the bottom to let the goods out that they seem to get rid of while you are handling them. good luck with you purchase, not everything works for everyone that is why there are options, just my 2 cents and that is what it is worth. Brent.
PS only thing I would change is to make larger runners on the bottom like 2 inch muffler pipe would work well and not real heavy to drag.
Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and
those who dare not are slaves. Lord Byron, poet (1788-1822)

Hayguy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Hayguy » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:42 am

thank's for the replies Battle T and S.S.A.P. i will pass on your comments to my neighbor,told him to just buy one and give us the reveiw :lol:

Return to “Ranch Talk”