Ranchers.net Bull Session

Calf Sled?

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
jodywy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby jodywy » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:58 pm

Justin wrote:
Soapweed wrote:If we'd just learn to calve in April and May, no sled would be needed. :wink:

:wink: :D

I seen winter snow cover clear thru May here a couple years ago, !st of June still had snow on the north side of buildings and stackyards
"Every once in a while, I’m overwhelmed by the feeling that I’ve done something REALLY STUPID." -Hank (Hank the Cow Dog ,John R. Erickson)

Justin
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Justin » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:04 pm

jodywy wrote:
Justin wrote:
Soapweed wrote:If we'd just learn to calve in April and May, no sled would be needed. :wink:

:wink: :D

I seen winter snow cover clear thru May here a couple years ago, !st of June still had snow on the north side of buildings and stackyards

we've seen snow here in May as well. not saying you wouldn't have to still use your calf sled, just saying you probably won't wear it out. :)
you can't fix stupid.
-Ron White-

smitryan78

Re: Calf Sled? Did you ever find a calf sled?

Postby smitryan78 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:43 pm

JF Ranch wrote:For many years we've used a home built sled to move a newborn calf, with the anxious mother trotting along behind. It has worked well either attached to a saddle horn or behind a 4-wheeler.

Unfortunately the years have taken it's toll on it. It has been upset, bent up and broken up so many times, it is hardly worth fixing again.

I did a quick search and found a couple available but am not sure what to think of either of them:

1. Koehn Kozy Kalf Sled http://www.koehnmarketing.com/catalog/p ... ucts_id=57

2. Sun-Tag Sled http://www.suntagsled.com/

Has anyone used either of these? Or do you know of any others that work well for you?

Did you ever find a calf sled?

littlejoe
Rancher
Rancher

Re: calf sled

Postby littlejoe » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:09 pm

C Thompson wrote:So far Soapweed has first place for the best answer. I liked the helpful comment about not making them out of metal so the slimey guys don't freeze down. Just an observation from a recovering winter calver.

Friends don't let their friends calve in the winter.

littlejoe
Rancher
Rancher

Re:

Postby littlejoe » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:11 pm

Some binocs, lotsa .22 shells, few snacks---tough life, somebody's gotta do it.

Return to “Ranch Talk”