Ranchers.net Bull Session

A Steak in Genomics

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
PPRM
Rancher
Rancher

Postby PPRM » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:26 pm

Can you guys tell us what the links are talking about?

I am very seriously considering a jump to AI because of the Meat traits. I also am looking at the Zoetis tests on my females to make cuts in replacements.

Those who know me know my philosophy that Bulls are better at breeding than I am and enjoy it more. so, it takes a bit for me to jump on these things ;-}
The difference between a rut and a grave is the depth

PPRM

HerefordGuy

Steak in Genomics

Postby HerefordGuy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:54 am

Steak in Genomics: Crossbred Replacement Females Average $529 More Than Straightbred
http://steakgenomics.blogspot.com/2014/02/crossbred-replacement-females-average.html

HerefordGuy

Postby HerefordGuy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:50 pm

PPRM wrote:Can you guys tell us what the links are talking about?

I am very seriously considering a jump to AI because of the Meat traits. I also am looking at the Zoetis tests on my females to make cuts in replacements.

Those who know me know my philosophy that Bulls are better at breeding than I am and enjoy it more. so, it takes a bit for me to jump on these things ;-}

PPRM-
The Zoetis GeneMax test explains about 18% of the variation in marbling and post-weaning growth. It is designed for commercial cattle that are at least 75% Angus.
The Zoetis 50KHD test is for purebred Angus and explains about 35-40% of the variation for 16 EPDs.
Dave Patterson at MU has some nice figures about the cost of AI versus buying a bull. Costs are the same, but you can afford much better genetics with AI.

HerefordGuy

Steak in Genomics

Postby HerefordGuy » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:24 pm

Steak in Genomics: New Prices for Limousin Genetic Tests Announced
http://steakgenomics.blogspot.com/2014/02/new-prices-for-limousin-genetic-tests.html[/b]

Roundup

Postby Roundup » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:28 am

I like to see this type of progress.

HerefordGuy

Steak in Genomics

Postby HerefordGuy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:24 pm

Another great video about how Angus producers use genomic-enhanced EPDs. I comment on my blog, http://steakgenomics.blogspot.com/2014/02/yon-family-farms-use-genomic-test-to.html, highlighting other approaches to using genomic-enhanced EPDs.

PPRM
Rancher
Rancher

Postby PPRM » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:00 pm

HerefordGuy wrote:
PPRM wrote:Can you guys tell us what the links are talking about?

PPRM-
The Zoetis GeneMax test explains about 18% of the variation in marbling and post-weaning growth. It is designed for commercial cattle that are at least 75% Angus.
The Zoetis 50KHD test is for purebred Angus and explains about 35-40% of the variation for 16 EPDs.
Dave Patterson at MU has some nice figures about the cost of AI versus buying a bull. Costs are the same, but you can afford much better genetics with AI.

Thanks... I was at a Bull Sale that had 50K results on the bulls. I told Larry Gran, "I am watching the Docility scores as these guys come in. It is incredibly predictable". I didn't realize there was a tenderness score. That would be pretty helpful!

I watched some nice bulls go for $12-15K last Saturday. I felt I could buy a lot of straws from the sires of those bulls for that amount. I say that as a guy who firmly believes a bull is ay more talented and interested in breeding a cow than I am ;-}

PPRM

Oldtimer

Postby Oldtimer » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:15 pm

I have used the Zoetis 50KHD on one herd bull and GeneSeek GGP-HD on another... Those results and resulting changes in the EPD's have seemed to hold true for as much as I can tell so far... Especially watching such traits as calving ease, BW, growth, mature height and weight and docility...

If anyone is in northeast Montana- on Tuesday March 11th Dr. Blane Loww, with Zoetis will be discussing heifer development and reviewing a herds reproductive performance overall... This will be at the Cottonwood Inn... 6:30 PM Supper and discussion following...
RSVP at Valley Vet Clinic (228-2437) by March 5th...

Hay Feeder

Postby Hay Feeder » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:39 am

I have also done some testing with 50k
With my own breeding (which is a outcross to most Angus bloodlines)
I read the results as my cattle DNA does not have much on file to compare the AAA adjusts the Epds to more accuracy and the numbers change a bit one way or another. With more and more DNA coming breeders WILL
Find something wrong with any animal
50k RFI and DMI numbers are going to be very important

What I do not like is breeders trying to find out the accuracy numbers of the 50k after the Angus Association has already adjusted the EPDs and picking away on it

I think every rancher should 50k there herd sires registered or commercial

PPRM
Rancher
Rancher

Postby PPRM » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:28 am

Oldtimer wrote:I have used the Zoetis 50KHD on one herd bull and GeneSeek GGP-HD on another... Those results and resulting changes in the EPD's have seemed to hold true for as much as I can tell so far... Especially watching such traits as calving ease, BW, growth, mature height and weight and docility...

If anyone is in northeast Montana- on Tuesday March 11th Dr. Blane Loww, with Zoetis will be discussing heifer development and reviewing a herds reproductive performance overall... This will be at the Cottonwood Inn... 6:30 PM Supper and discussion following...

It is really pretty incredible technology. The docility thing blew me away as I watched bulls I saw with high numbers (Meaning not docile) come into the ring and be blowing all around. LOL, lots of ext in those cattle BTW!

I saw some bulls with great numbers I wouldn't own. As I think about it, one thing comes to mind. We don't have the numbers on everything. Did some of those bulls that looked narrow just get sick at a point and never pull back comparatively? I dunno, but it helped reaffirm to me that this is another tool. A good one. But it doesn't by itself measure everything and the eye has some value. The eye simply can't see it all though.

PPRM

Oldtimer

Postby Oldtimer » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:27 pm

PPRM wrote:
Oldtimer wrote:I have used the Zoetis 50KHD on one herd bull and GeneSeek GGP-HD on another... Those results and resulting changes in the EPD's have seemed to hold true for as much as I can tell so far... Especially watching such traits as calving ease, BW, growth, mature height and weight and docility...

It is really pretty incredible technology. The docility thing blew me away as I watched bulls I saw with high numbers (Meaning not docile) come into the ring and be blowing all around. LOL, lots of ext in those cattle BTW!

I saw some bulls with great numbers I wouldn't own. As I think about it, one thing comes to mind. We don't have the numbers on everything. Did some of those bulls that looked narrow just get sick at a point and never pull back comparatively? I dunno, but it helped reaffirm to me that this is another tool. A good one. But it doesn't by itself measure everything and the eye has some value. The eye simply can't see it all though.

Yep its just another tool... As far as your comparative bulls I've heard some like Larry Leonard and Keeney talk about how you can take a low input raised middle of the road $1500 bull with the same genetics as a $10,000 bull test fattened stand out bull and expect to get pretty much the same results in calves... The management, promotion, and price doesn't change the genetics...
I think as the DNA data base gets built up you will see this show up more....

Mike
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Mike » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:27 pm

I've heard some like Larry Leonard and Keeney talk about how you can take a low input raised middle of the road $1500 bull with the same genetics as a $10,000 bull test fattened stand out bull and expect to get pretty much the same results in calves.

DUUUUUUUHHHHHHHH!!!!!
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Return to “Ranch Talk”