Ranchers.net Bull Session

Calving 2016

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Traveler
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Calving 2016

Postby Traveler » Tue May 24, 2016 1:42 pm

DejaVu wrote:George, the way things are going for me this year, if I kept my bulls home until June 20th, my damn neighbor's bulls would have all my cows bred. They were in with my cows last week. I penned them and called the guy. He apologized and picked them up BUT he turned them back out and today, there they were again. It was more difficult to pen them today but I got'er done. Called 'the neighbor'-that term is stretched thin- and told him I was tired of it and didn't want to find his bulls in my pasture again. This guy is an order buyer and these are sale barn bulls...you bet I'm mad :mad: Too many diseases to have this happening.
You need to get a more than adequate fence charger on at least the top wire. Just put the existing wire(s) on insulators and check regularly. You'll be glad you did.

DejaVu

Postby DejaVu » Tue May 24, 2016 2:36 pm

Yes Traveler, that's my next step. The wire is ready. I'll have to put in a few posts along the way. I have a 12 volt solar. I expect to have it done by the weekend. It's a little over a mile. I don't see any other way to put an end to this short of building new fence and the absentee owner won't go for that. I hate to get too nasty with this guy as I live 35 miles from my pasture and he does keep an eye on things for me. Besides, I never know when the tables will be turned.

George
Rancher
Rancher

Postby George » Fri May 27, 2016 9:34 am

# 16 held true to form - - - 14 heifers and 4 bulls to finish out the season, #16 has just had her 12th calf and every one was a heifer. I have her and 2 half sisters of her and they are the oldest cows in the herd, doing great but I know it is time to replace them.
Watch your thoughts, they become your words.
Watch your words, they become your actions.
Watch your actions, they become your habits.
Watch your habits, they become your character.
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby gcreekrch » Sat May 28, 2016 1:44 pm

47 official days of calving, 14 left.
Don't tell people your problems, half of em' don't care and the other half are glad you got em' We can all run the neighbors better'n our own

Return to “Ranch Talk”