Ranchers.net Bull Session

Ram DEF PITA

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Traveler
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Ram DEF PITA

Postby Traveler » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:06 am

I really don't have much brand loyalty, except Angus cattle, and damn sure don't need nothing made of metal to boost my ego. Been so long since I owned a car I don't hardly remember how one rides. :lol: If you all have such good backs you can spend the day checking pastures in a Super Duty and still walk...........good on you. My favorite pickups were probably the F150s of the late 70s. Then Ford made some that weren't so good in the 80s, but the twin I Beam F250s in the 90s, get one with a 460...were beasts. Wish they still made them like that.

4Diamond
Rancher
Rancher

Postby 4Diamond » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:31 am

Riding a Ford all day is a cake walk compared to bouncing across hay fields 15 hours a day. That's been my week, my super duty would feel like a recliner at this point.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:49 am

Traveler wrote:I really don't have much brand loyalty, except Angus cattle, and damn sure don't need nothing made of metal to boost my ego. Been so long since I owned a car I don't hardly remember how one rides. :lol: If you all have such good backs you can spend the day checking pastures in a Super Duty and still walk...........good on you. My favorite pickups were probably the F150s of the late 70s. Then Ford made some that weren't so good in the 80s, but the twin I Beam F250s in the 90s, get one with a 460...were beasts. Wish they still made them like that.

We owned a lot of Ford pickups with Armstrong steering. I so remember when we got the first one with Power Steering. It was a '79 Ford 3/4 Ton 4x4 with a 400 cu engine. I loved that pickup. It was so easy to STEER. :D
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

loomixguy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby loomixguy » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:36 am

I bounce around pastures, stalk fields, corrals, etc., all day in an F550. I don't have back problems. I was provided, thanks to my insurance company, a brand new 2012 Silverado 4x4 for a couple of weeks. It rode rougher and was harder on gas than my 07 F250 crewcab 4x4. No tears were shed when it went back. All the shops here absolutely hate to work on the Doodges. Dad had a little D300 years ago. That was a permanent cure for ever wanting another.
Arguing with a Kansas State fan is like playing chess with a pigeon.

No matter how good you are, the pigeon is just going to s*** on the chessboard and strut around like it won anyway.

Brad S
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Brad S » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:17 pm

A website devoted to this: 4btswaps.com

They also deal with 6bt and 6ct swaps. That 4 cylinder cummins is so perfect for everything but stump pulling - they sell fords in Brazil with that 4 cylinder cummins (lots of those bread vans and commercial service vans pound those 4 cylinder cummins.

The EPA ruined big trucks so bad there is a glider truck industry getting around the foible

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby gcreekrch » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:05 pm

Cut the EPA crap out of my 09 Dodge 3500 dually and chipped it. Problem fixed.

If I could build a truck it would be an F550 with Cummins and Dodge running gear.
Don't tell people your problems, half of em' don't care and the other half are glad you got em' We can all run the neighbors better'n our own

PPRM
Rancher
Rancher

Postby PPRM » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:24 pm

Faster horses wrote:We run Dodges. When we switched from Fords back in 1998, we felt like traitors because we had driven Fords forever.
We haven't had a Ford since the first Dodge we owned. Mr. FH pulls a lot of loads with his 1-ton Dodge dually and is totally
satisfied, (outside of the DEF) and he is picky. Our current Dodge has the Aisin transmission, which he specifically asked for,
and he is absolutely delighted with that transmission and with the pickup. He says that transmission "really gets ahold" which is important to him as about everything he does with a pickup is pulling a load of some kind.

To each his own. :D :nod: Not trying to convince anyone.

Reminds me of my dad....we were having Thanksgiving dinner years ago at some relatives who swore by Internationals. Dad
loved his Fords.....so when he got there and parked in a yard full of Internationals (I said this was years ago) he remarked,
"I'm sure glad my Ford made it out here in this International country." :D

What year is your current one? I'm thinking my next one will be a 2013. Heard lots of good things. I'm researching and the "Asian Transmission" is something I hadn't heard before.
The difference between a rut and a grave is the depth

PPRM

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:20 pm

Ours is 2016. Not sure how long that transmission has been put in the Dodges. Mr. FH reads the Turbo Diesel Register and read about them there. He says that transmission is great, really gets ahold (you would know better than me, what that means) when pulling
a load. He's pretty hard to please....but he is totally sold on that transmission.

Our last one was a 2011 not a 2010.

PPRM
Rancher
Rancher

Postby PPRM » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:56 am

LOL, the 2016's won't hit my "Sweet spot for buying" until 2022 ;-}
The difference between a rut and a grave is the depth

PPRM

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:34 am

Not sure when they added the Aisan transmission. They might have been available in the 2013's. Here is where an article was in
the Turbo Diesel Register. TDR issue 84. Page 44-55 and an article "all about auto transmissions." I think you can buy just one edition.
It's a pretty interesting magazine if you aren't familiar with it. Very different from the magazines available on newsstands.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/

VCC

Postby VCC » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:25 am

I bought it new when they had the friends and family sale in 05, a Chevy with a duramax/allison it has 225,000 miles on it now. Replaced the water pump, one front hub, 2 glow plugs, the glow plug control and the batteries twice, that's it. What i still have not had to replace are the brakes, still on the original pads and they are over half a pad left all the way around, I bought them and went to do the brake job figuring it should be close, not even. It has no DEF. The buttons on the radio are wearing out, you can't turn the radio off any more (just turn it down) the driver seat is cracking on the side. I went all out on the leather seats with butt warmers (best thing since sliced bread) good for an achy back at the end of the day.
I pull A stock trailer, camp trailer, boat, and occasionally haul hay, skidsteer or miny X with a flat bed trailer, drive it for work all over the lower part of the state.
It drives like a truck but not like a buckboard, I'll keep it till it wears out.
I won't get into the Ford, Chevy, Dodge mess, because they all have their plusses and minuses, I will say Ford needs to get things figured out on their heavy duties (The Diesel) we ran nothing but 450s and 550s in our fleet at work for years, the last 5 trucks to come in have been Dodges, to many trips to the shop for the Fords.

Traveler
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Traveler » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:43 pm

So today I discovered that my '16 GMC 2500 has a passenger compartment air filter. Take out 4 little torx screws that holds the glove box in and there it is. At ~20,000 miles that sucker was DIRTY! I thought it wasn't getting as much air flow to the defroster and heater as it should. :lol:

I'm sure it's just a rebadged POS :wink: , but haven't needed to take it back to the dealer for anything yet. Kind of like it so far.

Return to “Ranch Talk”