Ranchers.net Bull Session

Plumbing question

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
DejaVu

Re: Plumbing question

Postby DejaVu » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:23 pm

Tire tank update:

So far there has been no success in getting the manufactured plugs to seal. We have buffed the tire rim and plug rim with a wire brush on a right angle grinder, wiped both down with acetone. We are using Loctite PL Marine fast curing adhesive and sealant. Running two beads around the inside of the tire rim, placing the plug and screwing it to the rim with 2" self-tapping sheet metal screws. Then we are coming around the outside of the plug with another bead of sealant. Yesterday, we took the plug off the tire with the drain and filled it with cement. Today, it doesn't leak.

My last resort on the two remaining tire tanks with plugs is a bucket of tar. I'm going to tar the edge where the plug and tire meet. If there is a leak these last two plugs will be torn off and the tires filled with cement too. I can only stand so much grief and expense.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:14 pm

I really like Lexan caulking. Sticker then silicone and relatively cheap.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

DejaVu

Postby DejaVu » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:22 pm

Initially, we used an adhesive sealer called "Through the Roof". It failed. Then, we used the Loctite Marine adhesive sealer. It failed. This morning, while slopping tar on the plug and everybody growling at each other, I called the company for :help: They told me guys are using Ram-Nek tape to seal these plugs, then putting 2" deck screws through the plug into the tire bead to hold the plug in place. :drink:
There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. Will Rogers
These plugs have been my 'electric fence' moment! :wink:

Return to “Ranch Talk”