Ranchers.net Bull Session

Hot Day

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
jodywy
Rancher
Rancher

Hot Day

Postby jodywy » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:43 pm

Hot day..too many cars way too many people, took wool to wear house in Tooele. Did have a good Gyro at Dimitris Café on Vine Street, cherries in Brigham City , Cheese in Logan and Swather Parts in Preston..
Never gave H enough notice to come buy lunch.... was up to 99 time we left Tooele Town...
"Every once in a while, I’m overwhelmed by the feeling that I’ve done something REALLY STUPID." -Hank (Hank the Cow Dog ,John R. Erickson)

Nicky
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Hanot Day

Postby Nicky » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:50 pm

and you were just compaining about freezing.... hot here too.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Hot Day

Postby Faster horses » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:08 pm

....hot here too. And fires to the east.
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

jodywy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby jodywy » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:13 pm

Nicky wrote:and you were just compaining about freezing.... hot here too.
lot cooler at home then Utah was, Saturday and Sunday low was 28 here
"Every once in a while, I’m overwhelmed by the feeling that I’ve done something REALLY STUPID." -Hank (Hank the Cow Dog ,John R. Erickson)

JDBalerman

Postby JDBalerman » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:21 am

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:35 am

JDBalerman wrote:https://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/heavy-hail-flash-floods-in-alberta-paint-a-wintry-scene/69544/

How about your place and per's. Did you get hail?
I saw where Soapweed posted pictures of hail in Nebraska.
Crazy stuff!! We need rain....
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:16 pm

Wow that's bad.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

leanin' H
Rancher
Rancher

Postby leanin' H » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:15 pm

Shoot Jody I am sorry I missed ya. But it weren't hot in Tooele.......It was 106F out here on the desert yesterday. Scattered clouds today but the lightning is what has me on point. One strike and we will burn clear to hell and back. Sorry about the folks who got the hail. That stuff sure tears up everything.

Lord, if ya could spare some rain, we'd sure be thankful.
A poor ride beats a great walk any day!
<Parry Taylor>

JDBalerman

Postby JDBalerman » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:11 am

F. Horses.
We never even got a single drop of rain out of that one at the farm. Do not know about Per. Some people got as much as 6 to 8 inches of hail. What I saw was up to 5/8 inch in diameter with lots of wind, but I heard reports of 1 and 1/2 inch hail balls. They had to bring out the snow plows on Hwy 2.
JD

Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Denny » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:16 pm

I was rolling some new seeding tonight in a low meadow the wind was blowing in my not so modern tractor I drove up to the truck and got my sweatshirt. Did'nt finish as dark was coming on and the wet spots are whats left figured I better have ample light to navigate thru in the morning.
If your dreams don't scare you there not big enough!

mrj
Rancher
Rancher

Postby mrj » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:37 am

When we were getting up at a little after 4AM (NOT my idea!) we heard on the radio that it was 41% at various places in SD, including Sisseton area (n.e. SD), so not surprising you had cool temps last night. But those hot days and cool nights are more like desert country.......such as western SD is quickly resembling if we don't get some real rain soon. It was not quite so cool here, about 50% here at that time. Nice for sleeping! Some of our crew is putting out bulls today and want to get that done before it gets hot out there.

mrj

mrj
Rancher
Rancher

Postby mrj » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:41 am

We had .52" of rain yesterday, and half our crew barely avoided getting stuck a couple of times delivering bulls to various pastures. finishing after the rain got going pretty good. The other half was A-I ing cows here, where they were able to set up a portable, cobbled up 'roof' over the chute area....just before the rain stopped! And continued on till the job was done.

It's nice and cool with a slight breeze this morning. Overcast, too and looks like we could get more rain, which we sure need, but not so badly off as some places, either. Grass is still pretty green across most of the area which we drove last week. From here to Rapid City to see dermatologist, turn around, go past home, and end up in Brookings, clear across SD, for a meeting the next morning, then down the road about an hour to Dell Rapids to visit a friend in the nursing home, and on to Sioux Falls to have supper at an excellent Lone Star Steakhouse in Sioux Falls with miss Sweet Basil, spend the night at our favorite older Ramkota, and see docs on Thursday before returning home that evening. Not sure how many miles it was but at least 12 hours, maybe more, for the trip. Glad we got it all done in only three days. Would have been worse if unable to get appointments coordinated as well.

Somehow, I even had enough energy to go to Midland Market last night. That is a weekly summer event at the beautiful little city park in Midland, SD. There is usually a good meal for a donation prepared by various community groups, then visiting and vendors, sometimes even some impromptu music, making it a fun evening. Last night was a benefit for the Jennifer Nelson Memorial Scholarship. And it was held indoors at the Legion Hall due to the threatening weather and slightly damp park benches. Several good bakers and other vendors had their wares set up and I won't need to do any baking for a while!
mrj

Return to “Ranch Talk”