Ranchers.net Bull Session

Dart Gun's

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Ned Jr.

Re: Dart Gun's

Postby Ned Jr. » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:02 pm

I bought the pneu-dart 389 package last year and like it a lot. I doctored several foot rots and haven't missed yet. A dart and 10cc of draxxin is $55 so you defiantly don't want to miss. The 22 blanks don't cost much and I haven't had any problems using them. I usually get foot rots when I'm busy haying. Sure is nice to just go shoot them. http://shop.pneudart.com/cattle/cattle- ... e-package/

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:29 am

DejaVu wrote:AC-here's a chart from PneuDart's website.
http://www.pneudart.com/wp-content/uplo ... 015web.pdf
25-30 feet would be as far as I've shot a 10cc dart. The chart shows up to 45 feet for a 10cc but that sure seems like a gamble.
It's primarily calves I've darted with my rifle. It doesn't take much to shoot a 3 or 5cc dart. The heifer I tried to dart a couple evenings ago deflected a 7cc dart. I brought her in and put her in the chute. It was surprising how tough her hide was. No wonder the dart bounced off. You'll be surprised how hard it is to pump the air rifle. 5 pumps and you'll need more wheaties! I've never used more than 5 pumps--mostly cause I'm not sure I could get 6 or 7!

You mentioned on how hard it is to pump.
My son is friends with the dealer up here and he went to a guys place complaining on how hard to pump it was. Turns out he never oiled the slide where it pumps. Not in the Air hole but where the lever and spring are.Guess he even bent the lever trying. :shock:

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

DejaVu

Postby DejaVu » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:07 pm

Funny you say that...I decided to oil mine this morning before heading to the pasture. I had to dart one calf--Glory what a great day, Thank You God-anyway, that thing sure pumped easier! :oops: Is there something in the directions I missed about oiling the slide or is it just something everybody knows :dunce: 'cept me??

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:21 pm

DejaVu wrote:Funny you say that...I decided to oil mine this morning before heading to the pasture. I had to dart one calf--Glory what a great day, Thank You God-anyway, that thing sure pumped easier! :oops: Is there something in the directions I missed about oiling the slide or is it just something everybody knows :dunce: 'cept me??

I knew there was oil in the case but I forgot about it until my son mentioned it.

I think they are something it takes a while to get on to and if you don't use them all the time you forget the little things. :) :D

I can't tame wild women.

DejaVu

Postby DejaVu » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:45 pm

BMR-I forgot to Thank You for making me aware of the necessity of oiling the pump mechanism. Thank You.

I do have one more question.......when you shoot a dart, do you ever see something spray out of the dart as it leaves the rifle? I'm seeing something that appears to be spray at about half way from rifle to target and am not sure what it is. I sure hope it's not the Draxxin.

Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Denny » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:38 am

I close the end of my darts with a small dab of chapstick that way it plugs it up until contact.
If your dreams don't scare you there not big enough!

DejaVu

Postby DejaVu » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:49 am

Yeah, I use a triple antibiotic to close mine. Don't know why-but it seems like I'm seeing something spray from the dart shortly after it leaving the rifle. Makes me wonder if the antibiotic cream isn't heavy enough to hold. grrrrrrrr

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:45 am

Haven't noticed anything. We use Polysporin ointment. I haven't used it much but did treat a bull with Micotil last night.

I can't tame wild women.

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:41 am

I had a bull with footrot too far from home to trail him in his condition. I borrowed the neighbours medi-dart and I believe I am sold. It is a cross bow that fires an arrow charged with air. The air discharges the medicine, once the plunger reaches end of stroke it pushes the arrow out of the animal with a little bumper deal. It can deliver a shot of up to 30cc per dose which is nice for penicillin, although I realize that's a no-no, but sometimes desperate times call for desperate measures.

Return to “Ranch Talk”