Ranchers.net Bull Session

Bale Grazing

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Priority Livestock

Bale Grazing

Postby Priority Livestock » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:56 pm

K so I need some professional expertise
The fiancé decided we're gonna try and make a living on this farm and we wanna take on a 1000 cows and calve them out
Here is a list of what we have intended to have
Set up 3000 1300 lb straw bales
1000 1800 hay bales (these are already made)
300T of pellets
What we would do is sit down with a nutrionist to formulate a pellet that would consist helping to meet the requirements
We would feed straw & pellets in mid gestation.
Than add hay to increase DMI in late gestation and calving
We would feed the bales via bale grazing and the pellets would be in the form of a quad with a trailer that would feed the pellets evenly on the ground
Now tell me how you think this would work and how ya feel anything to help out our system

Texan
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Bale Grazing

Postby Texan » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:00 am

Welcome to Ranchers.net - interesting plan. Location, cow size, and expected number of feeding days would probably help members give more accurate advice because of the differences in cow maintenance requirements based on size and environment. Having a nutritionist fine-tune your plan is always a good idea.

When he was still alive, Northern Rancher was one of the biggest proponents of bale grazing that we had. You'll find a lot of wisdom in Cory's old posts. Do a search for bale grazing posts from Northern Rancher. I'm sure there are probably other members that use bale grazing successfully, as well.

Other than that, feeding pellets to 1,000 cows off of a quad sounds to me like a recipe for disaster. Wouldn't want that job. You might want to look at all of the beat-up cake trucks around and rethink the quad.

Good luck - sounds like a busy winter in store for you two. I hope you'll stay with us through the winter and let us know how everything is going.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:56 am

Got a feed bunk for the pellets when the ground is muddy?
How big will the groups of cows be?
Got water for 1000 cows?

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:06 am

Where are you located? Testing your feedstuffs might allow you to NOT have to use pellets. By pellets, I hope you mean something of
substantial size or they will disappear in the ground, not in the cow's belly. Hopefully your nutritionist will do a cost analysis and is an INDEPENDENT nutritionist, not affiliated with a company selling feed. In many instances a bit more hay is much cheaper to feed than buying cake, plus if you are already set up to feed hay that helps too, with not buying more equipment.

Texan had some very worthwhile comments; BMR had some great questions. Water is the most important nutrient. Without enough water, cattle can't perform as you would like or as you have figured on.

Good luck! Keep us posted.
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby gcreekrch » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:07 pm

Know a guy that bale grazed himself right out of cows........
Don't tell people your problems, half of em' don't care and the other half are glad you got em' We can all run the neighbors better'n our own

Mike
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Mike » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:55 pm

Exactly what are ya'll calling "Bale Grazing" ?
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

littlejoe
Rancher
Rancher

Postby littlejoe » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:56 pm

gcreekrch wrote:Know a guy that bale grazed himself right out of cows........

Yup, from the believers claims about it, looks like it'd really really work good if you got them damn cows outa the equation! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

littlejoe
Rancher
Rancher

Postby littlejoe » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:59 pm

I gave up on pellets when the processing costs became larger than the ingredients cost.

That just don't seem to make sense.

No offense intended---but if your level of experience makes you think that you can efficiently feed 1,000 cows cake with a 4 whlr, you might want to start on a tad smaller scale.....

Traveler
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Traveler » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:08 pm

littlejoe wrote:I gave up on pellets when the processing costs became larger than the ingredients cost.

That just don't seem to make sense.

No offense intended---but if your level of experience makes you think that you can efficiently feed 1,000 cows cake with a 4 whlr, you might want to start on a tad smaller scale.....

I was kind of thinking along those lines. Would be interesting to know the worst case scenario weatherwise, facilities, natural and manmade windbreaks, and experience, besides something about the cows. Figuring out the nutrition thing will be the easy part.

Sometimes in a weather or mud situation, setting bales out is the best choice for a time, or when there isn't another choice. There's also a chance there's going to be some eye trouble, depending on the bales.

leanin' H
Rancher
Rancher

Postby leanin' H » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:43 pm

Welcome to Ranchers. I wish ya well in your endeavors. But the folks who have posted ahead of me have some very valid questions we would need to have answered to give you advice that would be worth much. It takes a lot different approaches to feed cattle, depending on climate, water, working facilities, shape of fences, vaccine and treating sick cattle, ect.ect.... I have neighbors who winter cows on the desert and those cows get nothing but mineral and water. And I know outfits who feed cows 5 months of the year. They are simply too many variables in your query for me to do more than guess. 1000 head of calvy cows owner by somebody else is a huge undertaking and I hope it works out for ya. I admire you for asking for advice. Luck to ya!
A poor ride beats a great walk any day!
<Parry Taylor>

farmguy

Postby farmguy » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:18 pm

I have bale grazed. Works fantastic and a couple years ago drifts around buildings were 15 feet high. Bale grazing worked fine. Hard part was getting out to bales to move wires down to next setting. I just followed the cow trails. No way a tractor could have navigated the fields.

cowboykell

Postby cowboykell » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:20 pm

Oh.....you must mean bale wasting, from what I've seen around here.

Return to “Ranch Talk”