Ranchers.net Bull Session

Bale Grazing

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Bale Grazing

Postby Denny » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:03 am

Local guy here has about 22 bale rings he sets out moves them over once a week and refills them. He has them strung across a 1/4 mile line. He makes them clean it up pretty well but does leave some behind for bedding. He raises top quality hay and only feeds once a week he may add a few bales during the week but that's the way I would do it if I were so inclined. I unroll all of my hay just my preference.
If your dreams don't scare you there not big enough!

WB

Postby WB » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:06 am

Denny, that's because you get soo much cab comfort from your Belarus. :D

RSL
Rancher
Rancher

Postby RSL » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:40 am

I know some folks that use the rings with good effect. For those interested, here are some recent numbers from our last trial round of bale grazing. These are bales placed on a site that was grazed 2 years previously, then grazed last winter. From my latest report...
"the average production of the pasture that we are currently monitoring was 2622. The average of the area impacted by the last round of bales was 3335 and the spaces between the bales averaged around 1910. So nearly a 175% increase in production in the areas impacted by the last round of bales."

We also suspect the feed quality has improved, but are waiting on those test results.
You can't teach a stick to fetch a dog...
www.roundrockranching.com

4Diamond
Rancher
Rancher

Postby 4Diamond » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:23 am

RSL wrote:I know some folks that use the rings with good effect. For those interested, here are some recent numbers from our last trial round of bale grazing. These are bales placed on a site that was grazed 2 years previously, then grazed last winter. From my latest report...
"the average production of the pasture that we are currently monitoring was 2622. The average of the area impacted by the last round of bales was 3335 and the spaces between the bales averaged around 1910. So nearly a 175% increase in production in the areas impacted by the last round of bales."

We also suspect the feed quality has improved, but are waiting on those test results.
must have a lot to do with climate. All I've seen from a couple that have tried it here is big patches of weeds and it killed the grass. Must be a "here" thing.

Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Denny » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:45 am

WB wrote:Denny, that's because you get soo much cab comfort from your Belarus. :D

RAW POWER
If your dreams don't scare you there not big enough!

loomixguy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby loomixguy » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:13 am

There's a guy here who swaths about 3 quarters of grass, bales it with an Allis Roto Baler, never touches the bales, and winters his cows on the place. Cows do well, no weed problems, and his pastures are steadily improving.
Arguing with a Kansas State fan is like playing chess with a pigeon.

No matter how good you are, the pigeon is just going to s*** on the chessboard and strut around like it won anyway.

Return to “Ranch Talk”