Ranchers.net Bull Session

Letter to Cherry County Commissioners regarding Wind Energy

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Letter to Cherry County Commissioners regarding Wind Energy

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:34 pm

Soapweed wrote:
Big Muddy rancher wrote:Wouldn't it actually be the Pro wind movement that would be fanning flames?

Good point, BMR. It would take wind to fan a flame, and I am anti-wind so that is a false accusation. :-)

Glad I could help :D

Anytime. :nod: :lol2: :cowboy:

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Soapweed
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Soapweed » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:38 pm

Big Muddy rancher wrote:
Soapweed wrote:
Big Muddy rancher wrote:Wouldn't it actually be the Pro wind movement that would be fanning flames?

Good point, BMR. It would take wind to fan a flame, and I am anti-wind so that is a false accusation. :-)

Glad I could help :D

Anytime. :nod: :lol2: :cowboy:

My dad's cousin celebrated her 99th birthday last week-end in Rockglen. Wish we could have made it to the party, and then we could have stopped by to say "hi." Seems like ranching gets to interfering with our social life. :?

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:38 pm

Was that Mrs Justus?

Britt is living in Rockglen now, her boyfriend has a tire and repair shop.
She was busy driving a big Case IH Quad trac pulling a 1000bu grain cart. They are shut down with the rain.

I can't tame wild women.

3 M L & C
Rancher
Rancher

Postby 3 M L & C » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:37 am

That was an excellent letter. I used to think wind energy was ok but didn't really know anything about it. Where my wife if from there has grown a big wind farm. The problem that came up was they have their spots where are ideal to put towers. They approached one guy about putting a whole bunch of towers on his land he declined and said he didn't like them didn't think they were a good idea and he didn't want to look at them. So they just went across the road from him and have loads of them he has to look at anyway. My grandpa was commissioner way back. He died in 1987 when I was 7. Lots of people have tried to get my dad to run for the position. He said if my grandpa hadn't been commissioner he would probably still be alive. ;) My dad said he always dreaded Monday's as grandpa would come home from the meetings in a sour mood for the rest of the day. That is a tough spot to be in for them. Hope it works out for you soapweed.

Soapweed
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Soapweed » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:33 pm

Big Muddy rancher wrote:Was that Mrs Justus?

Britt is living in Rockglen now, her boyfriend has a tire and repair shop.
She was busy driving a big Case IH Quad trac pulling a 1000bu grain cart. They are shut down with the rain.

Yes, it is Grace Justus. She is quite a lady. We went to her 90th birthday party and her sister's (Dorothy Blooom) 80th in August of 2007. That was a fun time, with a nice party and big dance. Grace and Dorothy both danced nearly every dance that night. Dorothy has since passed on. Grace seems to be like the energizer bunny. Their mother was Gladys Oakes. She was also quite a go-getter. Most of her life she could jump from the floor and kick the top of a door frame on any ordinary house door. When she was well into her 90's, she was down in Nebraska visiting at county fair time. My father-in-law, Royal McGaughey, had a team and wagon in the parade, and I was riding shotgun. I asked Aunt Gladys if she'd like to ride in the wagon. She said, "You bet." I told her I'd find a ladder or step-stool or something to help her get in. She said, "Just hold those horses steady and I'll climb up the spokes of the wagon wheel." We did, and she did. I have a picture of her on my old Tom Cat horse when she was just a month away from her 96th birthday. I'm very proud to have all of them as relatives.

Check out these links.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20517&p=228845&hilit=Excursion#p228845

http://ryanwunsch.com/mystery-rocks-saskatchewan/
Last edited by Soapweed on Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:35 pm

Britt stopped and had a visit with Dick this summer. He was manning the tourist booth and she was walking back to the shop from Uptown.

I can't tame wild women.

sandhiller

Postby sandhiller » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:21 am

My concern with with the anti wind movement is setting a presedent of more control over what I can and cannot do on my land by people miles or hunderds of miles away.

Just because you don't want wind towers on your land shouldn't give you the right to say I can't have them. Disclamer, I am not near a wind farm, and I have no financial intrest in any wind farm.

Just because you don't want your ranch farmed or used for hunting or growing chickens or pigs or elk or fish or bulls or horses, should not allow someone miles away from doing such things on their private land.

Be very careful, you might actually get what you want and have it come back to bite you in the butt.

Amo

Postby Amo » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:05 am

sandhiller wrote:My concern with with the anti wind movement is setting a presedent of more control over what I can and cannot do on my land by people miles or hunderds of miles away.

Just because you don't want wind towers on your land shouldn't give you the right to say I can't have them. Disclamer, I am not near a wind farm, and I have no financial intrest in any wind farm.

Just because you don't want your ranch farmed or used for hunting or growing chickens or pigs or elk or fish or bulls or horses, should not allow someone miles away from doing such things on their private land.

Be very careful, you might actually get what you want and have it come back to bite you in the butt.

:agree: A public vote wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Mike
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Mike » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:26 pm

Amo wrote:
sandhiller wrote:My concern with with the anti wind movement is setting a presedent of more control over what I can and cannot do on my land by people miles or hunderds of miles away.

In my opinion, a public vote on something like that is not democracy, it's mob rule.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

mrj
Rancher
Rancher

Postby mrj » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:54 pm

Mike, you are all too right about that!

Too often, 'the public' has no knowledge whatsoever of what it takes to produce their food, and see private ownership of tracts of land large enough for a family to make a living raising food animals as just soooo much wealth in the hands of few people. So they seem to want to 'cut them down to size', and see their vote as an opportunity to do so. Or worse, have been convinced of that scenario by those WITH the vested interest in the project.

So far as energy is concerned, I feel we need to get honest (and do wonder if that is even possible!) assessment of what is economically feasible, and what truly will damage our world with pollution, and of what form that would be.

Just saw some numbers of tonnage of REAL pollution from that volcano, PER HOUR, in HI a while back, and now one is going off on the west side of Mexico, polluting some more. There is NO way the energy use for growing food, or living in reasonable comfort can compete with those things for pollution! But, since there is no way to make 'Mother Earth' pay the taxes to clean it up.....there must be no pollution, seems to be the wisdom of our politicians, worldwide.

mrj

Amo

Postby Amo » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:03 pm

Mike wrote:
Amo wrote:

In my opinion, a public vote on something like that is not democracy, it's mob rule.

I won't argue with ya there

oldblood

Postby oldblood » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:45 pm

Wind power will tear apart your town & your county like nothing you have ever seen. We are in the middle of a fight right now. There is one wind farm up. The best thing that can happen is the get some county zoning inplace before you get to far into it. Set back from homes & property lines. It has been nothing short of a $4!+ show here on both sides.

Return to “Ranch Talk”