Ranchers.net Bull Session

China announces in will lift ban on U.S. beef

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Brad S
Rancher
Rancher

Re: China announces in will lift ban on U.S. beef

Postby Brad S » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:04 am

Mike, you're absolutely correct when you note how expensive fat is to produce, but still it's a reality that the U.S. produces an excess of fat. That excess of fat attracts foreign lean in which to mix it - that's the market relationship on which mrj was focusing. For less than $10/head, breathours ultrasound program will do an amazing job of cleaning up this needless expense. You know the song, "every hand's a winner, every hand's a loser" - with better information we can know which calf to feed for which grid target and come close to making every calf a winner. While the trimmings mixing noted by mrj is everyday a reality, ultimately it's an expense born by less successful feeders. Nickel corn can cover up a lot of warts in the feedlot (not $2.50/calves as we've recently learned the hard way). $.08 corn should usher in a sea change that vastly reduces the amount of fat in the beef supply.

mrj
Rancher
Rancher

Postby mrj » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:06 pm

Mike, it well may be "absurd" for some producers to add so much fat to our US beef production, however, it is also a fact of life. Most likely, there are a variety of reasons. Many of us have and continue to improve upon that situation. And some never will because they are raising cattle for the love of it, or to utilize their grass and don't necessarily need to be efficient in their beef production. Doubtless many more 'reasons' exist for the practice.
Another interesting point: Progressive Cattleman, Oct 2016 issue carries a story about beef production, noting that annual production is forecast to reach 25 billion pounds in 2016, up 5.3% from last year, and total commercial beef production in 2017 is forecast at 3.4% higher at nearly 26 billion pounds. Not sure what that includes, but if it doesn't include imports, it appears that our trend of producing more beef per cow continues.

Interesting is that Beef imports into the USA through June were down 13% and total imports for 2016 are forecast to be down 12% on a yearly basis, and even further in 2017, if projections continue.

That, while some groups continue to insist that imports are growing. Strange.

mrj

lso interesting to me is that beef imports are down about 16% from one year ago. Total imports through June were down 13%. And total 2016 imports are forecast to be down 12% on a yearly basis. Beef imports are expected to decline even more in 2017.

Brad S
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Brad S » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:41 pm

those projected increases are sobering when you think about the effect they'll have on prices. It stands reason that lower prices should repel some imports. Seen hard times before - never ready for them.

WB

Postby WB » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:57 pm

Mrj, I think you have just illustrated how enemic our domestic beef demand is.

mrj
Rancher
Rancher

Postby mrj » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:25 am

Whether or not beef 'demand' is anemic may not be as important as the ability of our citizens to pay what it costs to raise and process beef. Many people are scared of this economy and what our government is doing to the value of our dollar with their mis-management and micro-management of everything they touch.

Add all the other people, non-government organizations, doctors and religions, and more telling us that everything under and including the sun is dangerous to our health, immoral, or otherwise not good for us, the environment, or outer space, it is miraculous that people still want to eat beef, imho.

For consumption of beef to remain as high as it is, the Beef Check-Off must be doing something right! We need to make it stronger to reach more consumers more often and help them make better use of more beef cuts.

And just maybe there is less of that "junk" beef on grocer's shelves than some in our own cattle production business persist in telling the world! Too much good beef still is lost to bruising.....after years of work and considerable success in cutting the damage on many of our ranches. We need improvement in handling to eliminate bruising AFTER cattle leave the ranch, too. Congratulations to truckers and others in finding causes of bruising while cattle are hauled to the processing plant, and their promises to eliminate that problem, according to recent news stories. We all need to work harder to eliminate the seemingly small problems in production to make our cattle and beef production the best it can be.

mrj

Mike
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Mike » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:10 am

For consumption of beef to remain as high as it is, the Beef Check-Off must be doing something right! We need to make it stronger to reach more consumers more often and help them make better use of more beef cuts.
The main answer to why beef consumption has fallen dramatically in the past few years and poultry consumption has doubled itself and doubled Beef consumption probably lies somewhere in the Price/Demand equation.

Point is.................Beef Consumption is NOT HIGH (as you say). Poultry consumption is about equal Beef & Pork consumption combined.

Now what's this about the Check-Off doing something right? I really don't remember the last time I saw a "BEEF" advertisement, but then I haven't been reading as many farm/ranch oriented magazines. :lol: :lol:
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Angus 62

Postby Angus 62 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:08 pm

Your checkoff dollar is of course also advertising the junk now being imported from Brazil, especially true now that consumers know less about the country of origin of the beef they are buying then their underwear. Thank you NCBA.

mrj
Rancher
Rancher

Postby mrj » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:27 pm

Mike, maybe you read what you wanted to see, not what I wrote! I'm thankful that beef is "as high as it is", not that I believe it is high enough for those of us who need to make a living raising it. Fact is, beef is one of very few foods eaten at about what our all-knowing government officials believe we should be consuming. I believe more would be healthful for us and also good for our business.

Your little slam about Check off advertising in ag magazines is cute! But not really honest. It is required by law that cattle producers be told what is being done with the money. That is the purpose of those ads. And all you would need to do is ask people serving on your state Beef Council, and you are even welcome at their meetings to give them your advice on how to best spend the money, if you raise cattle.

Angus 62, don't you realize that all beef importers pay the beef check off at the same rate as US cattle producers do? And do you really believe it helped sell more of 'our' beef to have that 'raised in the USA' label on even the very poorest quality beef raised here??? I believe the better system is the one we have now, where those who choose to showcase their best beef in one of the more than 150 or so branded beef labels have more than just a country of origin, with some including information about the product and even identify the producer! I believe that is a great idea, one that was prevented in the flawed law which did not allow for identification of the producer. I realize some of you love to hate NCBA, but really, there are other cattle producer organizations running the Beef Check off, along with the thousands of members of NCBA. You really should learn the facts, maybe even get on one of the beef councils or the Cattlemens' Beef Board and contribute to the efforts if you believe it needs better management. No one is stopping you. Volunteer members are needed for those boards every year. There are term limits, so you need not worry about it being too many years of commitment. There is even some expenses paid, so it isn't a terrific financial burden, though it isn't a total free ride, but many people over the years have given cheerfully to help this industry we believed in so strongly.

mrj

Angus 62

Postby Angus 62 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:04 am

If NCBA is doing such an honest and wonderful job with my checkoff money why have a number of organizations had to spent two years trying to get documents released under The Freedom of Information Act?

mrj
Rancher
Rancher

Postby mrj » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:02 pm

Angus 62, I believe at least three of those are groups which were against the Beef Check-Off from the beginning and have worked to end it from that time.

You are painting a large number of cattle producers including many who have earned excellent reputations for their honesty and integrity, as well as for the quality of their cattle, as being dishonest, it seems to me. I'm sorry you feel that way.

My husband and our families, our parents and grandparents all have depended on raising cattle for our living since before 1892 in this area and we have had family members of NCBA and the predecessor organizations from the early days of those groups. We have personally been acquainted with a very large number of them and have known many of them to be very fine people and it is disturbing to hear them called dishonest.

And it is even more disturbing to hear that after the number of audits, some routine, and some demanded by those against the Beef Check-Off. And NO elicit activities have been discovered. The firewall has been shown to be effective. The errors have gone both ways, sometimes favoring NCBA and some favoring the Check-Off. Corrections and adjustments to the funds have been made as appropriate. The fact of the contracts being on a cost recovery basis only has, imo, made the process complicated, yet it is the right thing for the cattle business, also imo.

The most disturbing thing about all this is that those groups attacking the Beef Check-Off asked for and are using money from the HSUS to fight the Beef Check-Off. That should tell us that the Check-Off is too successful for that bunch that works to end all uses of animals, whether as pets, companions, or food! It was a sad day for the entire food animal industries when that happened!

mrj

Return to “Ranch Talk”