Ranchers.net Bull Session

What would you do???????

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
DejaVu

What would you do???????

Postby DejaVu » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:22 pm

I bought a 1/2 section of grass this summer. We closed on it the middle of Sept. I take possession Nov.1. The grass is rented out and I was told from the beginning the renter would be out Oct 15. There were 32 pairs on this grass for the summer. I checked on it today and found that the cows haven't been moved AND the renter has-with the previous owners knowledge-moved 60 more cows onto this grass. I called the previous owner and said WTH? He said the renter wanted to put the cows somewhere when he the pulled the calves. He was leaving them there just till they had the bawl out of 'em. I was told they were being moved tomorrow. 90+ cows have been on that 320 acres 10 days to 2 weeks and it shows.
Soooo-if this was you-what would you do? I'm very unhappy and feel the previous owner has taken advantage of me. :mad: and that's putting it in Sunday school language because I can't say what I want to say. :x :mad:

leanin' H
Rancher
Rancher

Re: What would you do???????

Postby leanin' H » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:00 pm

If I closed on it in September, I would of taken possession of it in September. Or I would of had a written agreement with the renter stating exactly what could happen til November 1st. Without those 2 options you are kinda hung out to dry. Experience can be an expensive teacher. If the guy ya bought it from crawfished on his deal with you, without something in writing I don't see any options except frustration. I feel for ya. Why are people like that? :evil:
A poor ride beats a great walk any day!
<Parry Taylor>

loomixguy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby loomixguy » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:10 pm

Seems to me every day after October 15 you are owed $X per head per day, no matter the number. If the cattle are still there at 12:01 am November 1, I would see that the pasture is secure ( locks on gates or something to restrict access), or I would remove them from the pasture & relocate them to an area that is restricted. Idjit doesn't get his cows until the bill is settled.

And, I'd probably talk to a lawyer first. You're owed something.
Arguing with a Kansas State fan is like playing chess with a pigeon.

No matter how good you are, the pigeon is just going to s*** on the chessboard and strut around like it won anyway.

Zilly

Postby Zilly » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:35 pm

Unless you had everything spelled out in writing, chalk it up to experience. In the future, close, take possession, and assume the existing lease the same day. Also, at closing, if the lease was paid in full, make sure it is prorated and the old owner pays you the remainder of the lease payment.

DejaVu

Postby DejaVu » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:26 pm

Thanks everyone for helping. In the morning, I'm calling the lawyer who handled this transaction. We closed the middle of Sept. I was assured the renter would be gone October 15 and I assumed ownership November 1. Seemed 'cut n dried' at the time. I didn't anticipate the seller allowing the renter to over-stock the pasture in that transition time. It's not something I would have ever done to the other person. Will let you know what happens.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:51 pm

Good luck, Hope you get some satisfaction.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

GM888

Postby GM888 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:26 pm

Good luck. Hope the lawyer can help. Id probably do something stupid like take the perimeter gates home.

Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Denny » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:37 am

GM888 wrote:Good luck. Hope the lawyer can help. Id probably do something stupid like take the perimeter gates home.

That's what I was thinking.Sounds like they are free grazeing so let them.
If your dreams don't scare you there not big enough!

Brad S
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Brad S » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:19 am

Hire a couple good Cowboys to gather and haul the cattle to the sale barn and yard them back. Put the cowboy charges on the cattle - the sale barn will put their yardage against the cattle.

Otherwise, once the cattle are delinquent, put a fair and reasonable feed/yardage charge,that must be settled prior to shipping, against the cattle.

Brad S
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Brad S » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:23 am

I'm told that knuckles court doesn't apply anymore - honor was diminished when dueling was banned.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:40 am

I think you can put a pasture or feed lein on the cattle and they can't get them til they have settled up with you. Your state might
be different tho.
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

littlejoe
Rancher
Rancher

Postby littlejoe » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:59 pm

If he's out by the 20th, he for sure owes you 5 days. Say a dollar a day, 90 hd, 450$.

The rest is arguable.

I'd talk to the cow owner, say what I think is right, listen to what he thinks is right. Give him an opportunity to do the right thing. Then it's on him. My life is getting too short to let this kinda stuff eat me up.

Return to “Ranch Talk”