Ranchers.net Bull Session

What would you do???????

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
tenbach79

Re: What would you do???????

Postby tenbach79 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:13 pm

If you closed the middle of September and don't take ownership until November first not sure what you can do. Was it writin down in the contract or announced at the time of sale that they would be moved October 15 or was this a gentleman hand shake? Was the original renter allowed to rent the grass until November 1st? If it said in the final contract at the time of sale that they would be moved October 15 then I think you should charge him x dollars per head per day until moved. Because you are the new owner of said ground. If he had it rented until November 1(because this is when you said you take ownership) then not sure what you can do. I think he was p****d it was sold out from under him and took it out on you buy over stocking it theses last few days.

DejaVu

Postby DejaVu » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:46 pm

Update: I had the pasture looked at Friday by a NRCS range management guy. We identified two areas with less desirable grass that is still plentiful and I will put up electric fence to force the cattle to graze those areas rotationally in the Spring. Doing that will give the over grazed areas a chance to grow so the cattle won't keep hammering them. Both attorneys (mine and the sellers) agree this is willful destruction of property and I am owed rent for the two weeks. I became the owner September 15 and neither the renter nor the seller had the right to add 60 additional pairs to the pasture without my consent.
I can't say if the renter is/was p****d at me as I don't know him. I was told he had quite a few of last year's high priced cows that he refused to sell because of the $$$ loss so he rented this pasture. He had the same opportunity to buy-probably more so-than me as he and the seller are good friends. It was for sale for several months before I bought it. The money spent on the cows last year has tied his hands but it isn't justification for his actions. The amount of effort and expense required to truck in an additional 60 pairs for a short term just amazes me. These pairs were gathered from somewhere and hauled to this pasture. Then, in a few days, guys were hired again to gather everything, sort the calves and haul to town. In ten days or so, guys were hired again to gather and haul the cows out. Don't know about the rest of you--but there is no way would I go to this much work for two weeks of grazing.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:23 pm

That's probably why he is in a financial bind.....and not just from high-priced cows.
Hopefully things will turn out fine for you. Hope you get paid. If not, life goes on.
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

tenbach79

Postby tenbach79 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:59 pm

Good you are getting money from him.

DejaVu

Postby DejaVu » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:53 pm

I'm supposed to put a $$ amount on the extra grazing, the damages and whatever I'll have to do to manage the grass for recovery. I had it looked at by a rep from Kansas Grazing Lands Coalition. We're putting a plan together. It's tough to put a price on all this. Just wish it had never happened. Please remember my experience and button those purchase contracts down tight....expect the unexpected!

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:58 am

There is a case in Wyoming, rancher vs BLM. The seller gave an easement to the BLM AFTER he was paid for the ranch by the buyer. The BLM (the way I understand it) didn't file the easement and the title search didn't find it so the buyer had no idea it existed. This has turned into a WHOLE can of worms, money spent on attorneys, court hearings, you name it; for years! I don't know how you would protect yourself as a buyer against something like this. I think the seller broke the law and that is where I would have started, had I been the buyer of the ranch. It still isn't settled. From what I have read, the BLM wanted to buy the ranch to turn it into a conservation place, and this fellow stepped in and bought it underneath them. The ranch is checkerboarded with BLM ground.
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Denny » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:42 am

DejaVu wrote:I'm supposed to put a $$ amount on the extra grazing, the damages and whatever I'll have to do to manage the grass for recovery. I had it looked at by a rep from Kansas Grazing Lands Coalition. We're putting a plan together. It's tough to put a price on all this. Just wish it had never happened. Please remember my experience and button those purchase contracts down tight....expect the unexpected!

I wouldn't waste a minute worrying about it if it were mine I'd just chalk it up for next time.
If your dreams don't scare you there not big enough!

DejaVu

Postby DejaVu » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:18 am

Denny, I've thought about what you've said. Walk away. Forget it. I can't. See, this was a sweetheart deal for the seller. There was no arguing over the price. No tire kicking. Nothing. My lawyer/his lawyer. Done deal. The pairs they added were intentional, done deliberately. Their actions will cause me to reduce the numbers I can graze on this grass next year, and depending on the weather, maybe for several years.
When is enough-enough? When does a person call BS? When do you stand up for yourself and say NO, I won't let you do this to me.

You build trailers. So, you have an order for one. You build it and deliver it. You go home with a check in hand and Monday morning go to the bank. Three days later, you find out the check is no good. The guy doesn't answer his phone. Do you drive back to find him or just let it go and chalk it up for next time? You've probably already been there and take precautions. I thought we had everything covered. Never expected some jerk would go to the trouble of hauling in 60 more pairs for a couple of weeks of grazing.

loomixguy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby loomixguy » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:08 pm

DejaVu wrote:Denny, I've thought about what you've said. Walk away. Forget it. I can't. See, this was a sweetheart deal for the seller. There was no arguing over the price. No tire kicking. Nothing. My lawyer/his lawyer. Done deal. The pairs they added were intentional, done deliberately. Their actions will cause me to reduce the numbers I can graze on this grass next year, and depending on the weather, maybe for several years.
When is enough-enough? When does a person call BS? When do you stand up for yourself and say NO, I won't let you do this to me.

You build trailers. So, you have an order for one. You build it and deliver it. You go home with a check in hand and Monday morning go to the bank. Three days later, you find out the check is no good. The guy doesn't answer his phone. Do you drive back to find him or just let it go and chalk it up for next time? You've probably already been there and take precautions. I thought we had everything covered. Never expected some jerk would go to the trouble of hauling in 60 more pairs for a couple of weeks of grazing.

Exactly. Make the SOB pay.
Arguing with a Kansas State fan is like playing chess with a pigeon.

No matter how good you are, the pigeon is just going to s*** on the chessboard and strut around like it won anyway.

Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Denny » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:46 pm

DejaVu wrote:Denny, I've thought about what you've said. Walk away. Forget it. I can't. See, this was a sweetheart deal for the seller. There was no arguing over the price. No tire kicking. Nothing. My lawyer/his lawyer. Done deal. The pairs they added were intentional, done deliberately. Their actions will cause me to reduce the numbers I can graze on this grass next year, and depending on the weather, maybe for several years.

I can see your point different area if you mowed off a piece short this fall it wouldn't effect it much if any here seams we get a bit more moisture so things rebound fairly quick.
If your dreams don't scare you there not big enough!

Return to “Ranch Talk”