Page 1 of 2

How to become a cowboy?

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:58 pm
by MissouriToMontana
Nah, its not a joke.

I come from a huge city in Missouri. I hate it. I moved out to montana for obvious reasons...its beautiful, plenty of open land, ranches and horses.

I recently got work on a small farm mucking pens and doing pretty much anything the owner asks me to do.

I want to go further down the rabbit hole though. I want to be able to ride horses for a living (at least occasionally)...I've ridden before and want to ride again, and I want to learn, I just don't know how.

So, how do I go about doing this?

Re: How to become a cowboy?

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:04 am
by Big Muddy rancher
What part of Montana?

Maybe have to try and make some friends that ranch or at least ride.

Re: How to become a cowboy?

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:36 pm
by jodywy
good hand can put his hand around a post hole shovel, irrigation shovel, a pitchfork, and a tractor steering wheel... then there might be some saddle time...

Re: How to become a cowboy?

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:27 am
by Brad S
jodywy wrote:good hand can put his hand around a post hole shovel, irrigation shovel, a pitchfork, and a tractor steering wheel... then there might be some saddle time...


My oh my you sound like my Dad - you're in good company btw.

Re: How to become a cowboy?

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:03 am
by Soapweed
Being a cowboy has been my lifelong addiction that I am trying hard to overcome. The present cattle market is almost better than any other form of cure. :-)

Re: How to become a cowboy?

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:08 pm
by Big Muddy rancher
Soapweed wrote:Being a cowboy has been my lifelong addiction that I am trying hard to overcome. The present cattle market is almost better than any other form of cure. :-)


I hear ya on that point Soap :( :(
I got beat up by a cow yesterday :oops: that takes a bit of fun out of being a cowboy as well. :cowboy:

Re: How to become a cowboy?

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:04 pm
by Soapweed
Big Muddy rancher wrote:
Soapweed wrote:Being a cowboy has been my lifelong addiction that I am trying hard to overcome. The present cattle market is almost better than any other form of cure. :-)


I hear ya on that point Soap :( :(
I got beat up by a cow yesterday :oops: that takes a bit of fun out of being a cowboy as well. :cowboy:


What happened? Enquiring minds would like to know. Hope you recover soon.

Re: How to become a cowboy?

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:04 pm
by Big Muddy rancher
We had a couple cows that wintered in a pasture north of us and stayed there all summer until they had a big gather last week, so I had them in a pen and I had another couple we brought in to get quills out of one calf so I left them in as we gather tomorrow. Well Britt and I wanted to put them up the alley to try our sorting panel. The dogs were out with us and the cows got a tad upset so the dogs were sent out of the pen but one cow came at me, hit me in the ribs and brought her head up and gave me a bloody nose and I bit the inside on my lip pretty hard. Then she was on top of me worked me over and tromped on my legs. The left one didn't hurt much but my shin looked like it had half an apple on it and the right leg was/is sore on the top of the calf. No ribs broke but still sore.
I had blood dripping but am stubborn so we still took them up to try the sorting panel. Had the pipe at about 40 inches and that wasn't low enough to stop a Angus cow but the calves ducked under just fine. We lowered it about 4 inches and tried the cow that went under and her calf again. Darn cow still went under. It would probably work fine for any other breed of cow but not Angus.

Re: How to become a cowboy?

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:33 pm
by Soapweed
Big Muddy rancher wrote:We had a couple cows that wintered in a pasture north of us and stayed there all summer until they had a big gather last week, so I had them in a pen and I had another couple we brought in to get quills out of one calf so I left them in as we gather tomorrow. Well Britt and I wanted to put them up the alley to try our sorting panel. The dogs were out with us and the cows got a tad upset so the dogs were sent out of the pen but one cow came at me, hit me in the ribs and brought her head up and gave me a bloody nose and I bit the inside on my lip pretty hard. Then she was on top of me worked me over and tromped on my legs. The left one didn't hurt much but my shin looked like it had half an apple on it and the right leg was/is sore on the top of the calf. No ribs broke but still sore.
I had blood dripping but am stubborn so we still took them up to try the sorting panel. Had the pipe at about 40 inches and that wasn't low enough to stop a Angus cow but the calves ducked under just fine. We lowered it about 4 inches and tried the cow that went under and her calf again. Darn cow still went under. It would probably work fine for any other breed of cow but not Angus.


Sorry about your tough luck. You might have to devise a "Plan B" for weaning those Angus cattle. Hope you recover painlessly from all the bumps and bruises you received as souvenirs from that nasty ol' cow.

I poked myself with a Dectomax needle today, and bled a bit. This should take care of some of my internal parasites. If Trump could win the election, some of the outward parasites could possibly be eliminated, too. :cboy:

Re: How to become a cowboy?

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:57 pm
by Big Muddy rancher
We live a dangerous life, guess that's why the women are so attracted to us. :wink: :cowboy: :nod: :lol2: :lol2:

Re: How to become a cowboy?

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:52 am
by gcreekrch
You two old pharts had best start staying at the house....................

Re: How to become a cowboy?

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:07 am
by mrj
Big Muddy rancher wrote:We live a dangerous life, guess that's why the women are so attracted to us. :wink: :cowboy: :nod: :lol2: :lol2:


I believe you may mis-understand. It's because we know 'your kind' will get yourselves killed if you don't have a good woman looking out for you! And if you live past 80, some of you do figure things out a bit and back off when you should.

mrj