Ranchers.net Bull Session

Ractopamine

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
mrj
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Ractopamine

Postby mrj » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:56 pm

WB, I sure can't agree that beef is universally poor quality. I don't know what percent of cattle are given ractopamine, etc., but I do know there is a lot of high quality beef in market places, and I don't believe one has to buy from Omaha Steaks, or even pricier sources to get it. I just can't believe it is a large percent of beef in markets have been implanted. I think we may need more science, not less!

I also believe high supermarket prices of beef probably are more of a deterrent to more consumption than some people will admit.

I don't see corporations as somehow evil and trying to take over the food industry. It has been a pretty darn good system of production, regulation, processing, more regulation, distribution, more regulation, and supermarkets and more regulation to do such a good job of feeding the majority of people across our nation and the entire world as we do today.

Sure, there are some improvements needed, maybe beginning with streamlining and cost control on government regulation! Maybe even more helpful would be if we weren't so prone to attempting to use that proverbial "circular firing squad" to solve the problems we do have in this industry!

mrj

WB

Postby WB » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:47 pm

Mrj, I am not calling for a firing squad. Simply let's all produce the best product possible so our consumers think of buying something besides hamburger when they go to the beef counter. I am not anti-corporation either but let's not mortgage the next generation's future by using things that are neither necessary nor productive when in comes to creating more beef demand.

You say that this is not widely used but I have asked people in the packing business what would be an honest guess and the have told me over 70 percent of fed cattle currently receive Optaflexx. It might be higher as no one tracks such things. We as an industry cannot continue as we are.

Yes I think our industry is in sad shape. I will ask anyone in this business if you can handle another year like this past one? Can you handle $70 live cattle? It is a distinct possibility they way we are going.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:01 pm

I was talking to a fellow sitting on the Canadian Roundtable for Sustainable Beef, he wasn't happy about sitting with MacDonald's and WWF but when he told them that not using implants cost him $70/hd in the feedlot. MacDonald's said if that's what it takes to make a profit they were OK and WWF said if you can get more beef with fewer hooves on the ground that was fine with them.
I was to sit there as well, but I don't think producing beef as cheap as possible is really the definition of Sustainable I agree with.
I think ranchers should be rewarded for the environmental goods and services they produce while raising quality beef.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

WB

Postby WB » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:17 pm

I am not advocating against implants as they are totally different than ractopamine. Implants operate on the endocrine system whereas ractopamine alters the blood increasing blood pressure and increasing heart rate changing the muscle tissue. Thus they change the eating quality that we are trying to enhance with better genetics, better health and better feeding regimines. We have come a long ways in just better management overall and yet the ractopamine can take it all away.

Brad S
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Brad S » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:07 am

"People like Mercola seem to make an exceptionally good living by convincing people that the whole scientific world is trying to kill them with scientifically developed, commercially produced food and medicine. WHY would cattle producers look to him for advice?"

I posted the mercola point of view, not looking or seeking advice as the question assumes, but rather to illustrate a significant point of view in the market place. I'm all for science dictating policy - market science is science also. Sometimes it seems as though we're stuck in a 1970s mindset that "we're going to tell the consumer what is good science." How long have we simply given up on the eu beef market over implants? (Sure, the eu uses the issue to ban foreign beef) I'd like to see the study comparing the money lost by reduced market access (the eu) by using implants vs reduced productivity by not using implants

Return to “Ranch Talk”