Page 1 of 2

Hey Soapweed

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:30 pm
by Big Muddy rancher
We need some pictures of Sparky's latest Gadget, Gizmo or Doodad out of his shop. :D

I enjoy looking at the pictures of his shop just to see what interest and different hanging on the walls. :cowboy:

Re: Hey Soapweed

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:16 am
by mwj
I would second that request, and I would like a windmill picture for desert!

Re: Hey Soapweed

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:06 am
by Soapweed
Thanks for the requests. I have a computer glitch that doesn't allow me to download my pictures. That is one excuse. Another is that the ol' Kosmo Kid is keeping me pretty busy. Anyone interested in buying some good Nebraska ranch cows? We have more on hand than we desire to calve out, and would sure sell some. The Sandhills Cattle Association annual ranch tour is this coming Saturday, January 28, 2017, in the Nenzel-Merriman area. The Kosmo KId (Brock Moreland) is hosting the first stop at his place (the newly named Circle M Ranch). Come one, come all. For more information about the tour, check out this website.

http://sandhillscattle.com/

Re: Hey Soapweed

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:43 am
by Big Muddy rancher
Sorry to hear about the computer glich.

Sure sucks to be a self employed cowboy all those years then end up with a tough boss in Retirement. :wink: :lol2: :nod: :cowboy:

ps. Grandpa Bob would sure be proud of Brock and family carrying on with the Sandhills Cattlemens tour. :-)

Re: Hey Soapweed

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:45 am
by Soapweed
Big Muddy rancher wrote:Sorry to hear about the computer glich.

Sure sucks to be a self employed cowboy all those years then end up with a tough boss in Retirement. :wink: :lol2: :nod: :cowboy:


I concur. :cboy:

Re: Hey Soapweed

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:03 pm
by mrj
Add in all those little 'cowboys and cowgirls' in training keeping very sharp eyes on Soapweed, my guess is that he has an opportunity to assure that Kosmo inherits a very knowledgeable bunch of 'bosses' when he, Kosmo, reaches 'retirement' time! Training by grandpa's seems in my experience to be more eagerly absorbed than that coming from dads. Grandpa's aren't hampered quite so much by discipline a their dads are, after all. Anyway a four year old girl on this ranch sure watches great grandpa like a hawk to see how he does things, from filling vaccine guns at the chute to counting cows thru a gate while they are horseback! Not to mention driving everything!

Notice that I wrote retirement 'time', not 'age'. 'Cowboying' seems pretty much a career where retirement age isn't established with any uniformity! For which I'm duly thankful. Long as the will and the ability is there, it seems to me personal preference is the best guide. And family pressure for the potential retiree to stay reasonably safe needs consideration by the retiree-to-be, too.

mrj

Re: Hey Soapweed

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:49 am
by RSL
mrj - Google "Kondratiev wave"
I had this explained to me by Dennis Wobeser (he always made me think) and human nature and long cycles are a good reason why grandparents/tribal elders are best equipped to teach youth as they will experience similar parts of the cycle through their life at roughly the same life stage. It is interesting stuff.

Re: Hey Soapweed

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:07 pm
by Soapweed
RSL wrote:mrj - Google "Kondratiev wave"
I had this explained to me by Dennis Wobeser (he always made me think) and human nature and long cycles are a good reason why grandparents/tribal elders are best equipped to teach youth as they will experience similar parts of the cycle through their life at roughly the same life stage. It is interesting stuff.


I have heard that the reason grandparents and their grandchildren get along so well is that they have a common enemy. :-)

Re: Hey Soapweed

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:40 pm
by Faster horses
Soapweed wrote:
RSL wrote:mrj - Google "Kondratiev wave"
I had this explained to me by Dennis Wobeser (he always made me think) and human nature and long cycles are a good reason why grandparents/tribal elders are best equipped to teach youth as they will experience similar parts of the cycle through their life at roughly the same life stage. It is interesting stuff.


I have heard that the reason grandparents and their grandchildren get along so well is that they have a common enemy. :-)


:lol: I have heard that too. It's still funny.

Re: Hey Soapweed

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:53 pm
by mrj
Thanks RSL, that does sound interesting, but my brain is resisting thinking right now! I've worn it out thinking about all that I need to do before we leave on a business trip/vacation, fitting in Physical Therapy sessions with weather tantrums, listening to woes of getting ready to sell calves, weather tantrums, being the 'listening post' re. repairing some of the equipment needed yesterday!.......anyway tomorrow is a new day, so will try it early before all the pressures of life start all over again.

And Soapweed, I'm guessing your point is a distillation of the official "Kondriatiev wave", so will check it out when my brain at least has a chance to absorb it! Your point makes me wonder what the difference, if any, is between grand parents and great grand parents since the father of our two little Gen 6'ers is our grandson, therefore not sure how that works out or who is the 'enemy' and is it a three way, or a four way tug of war???? Actually, each of the three sets of 'parents' gets a break when we need it most and two sets of us are usually very happy to get to provide the 'break' time for the actual parents of 'our' girls.

mrj

Re: Hey Soapweed

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:23 pm
by Soapweed
mrj wrote:Thanks RSL, that does sound interesting, but my brain is resisting thinking right now! I've worn it out thinking about all that I need to do before we leave on a business trip/vacation, fitting in Physical Therapy sessions with weather tantrums, listening to woes of getting ready to sell calves, weather tantrums, being the 'listening post' re. repairing some of the equipment needed yesterday!.......anyway tomorrow is a new day, so will try it early before all the pressures of life start all over again.

And Soapweed, I'm guessing your point is a distillation of the official "Kondriatiev wave", so will check it out when my brain at least has a chance to absorb it! Your point makes me wonder what the difference, if any, is between grand parents and great grand parents since the father of our two little Gen 6'ers is our grandson, therefore not sure how that works out or who is the 'enemy' and is it a three way, or a four way tug of war???? Actually, each of the three sets of 'parents' gets a break when we need it most and two sets of us are usually very happy to get to provide the 'break' time for the actual parents of 'our' girls.

mrj


Grandkids are pretty fun to have around. We surely enjoy our little bunch of five. :-)

Re: Hey Soapweed

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:23 pm
by mrj
Trying to find Kondratiev wave I mostly located financial version, supposedly 'discovered' by a disciple of Stalin (If I got the correct name....too much going on for my brain with phone calls re. when which person needs to load out cattle tomorrow, between my bro taking his to sale barn, and our own outfit with steers privately, and a water float going crazy yesterday and pouring way more out the overflow than is good anytime, let alone at 20%, and little 'neighbor dog' harassing the cats (which has led to a dead cat on my front walk a while back), my concentration level for fun stuff on the computer is fleeing!

But the idea is interesting. Maybe this evening, I'll call my cousin, the Physchologist and see what she has heard of the theory as related to generational learning patterns, as I think that was what the reference was, wasn't it?

mrj