Ranchers.net Bull Session

First 90 Kangaroos released in Wyoming

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
jodywy
Rancher
Rancher

First 90 Kangaroos released in Wyoming

Postby jodywy » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:40 am

http://county10.com/first-90-kangaroos- ... n-wyoming/
(Dubois, Wyo) – The Wyoming Wild Game Department (WWGD) partnering with the Wyoming Migration Initiative (WMI) have released the first of 5 planned batches of 90 Antilopine Kangaroos into the Wyoming outdoors.
Dubbed “Project Sage Hopper” by the WWGD team responsible for evaluating the viability of Wyoming’s habitat for Australian marsupials, it has been in the planning stages for 3 years. The goal is two-fold: Create new and interesting wildlife viewing opportunities for tourists, and in several years, potentially provide additional hunting opportunities.
“Antilopine means ‘antelope-like, so we are interested to see how these kangeroos adapt to Wyoming’s wild landscapes,” WMI Director Matt Kauffman said. “If they start migrating, we’ll be tracking their movements, looking to see how they learn to exploit the sage steppe and the mountains, where they ‘hopover,’ those sorts of things.”

Wyoming Migration Initiative team welcomes the first wild kangaroo to touch down on Wyoming soil.

16 hour trans-Pacific flight for the jet-lagged kangaroo.
“This wasn’t an easy project; the international permitting in particular was a huge hassle. Identifying a species that would meet our goals and be able to thrive in Wyoming’s strongly seasonal habitat.” added Kauffman. “If we can get these Aussie macropods established and breeding, they are likely to thrive with continued climate change in Wyoming’s already semi-arid climate. Additionally, we believe with their large hind legs, they’ll be able to effectively defend themselves from coyotes, wolves and other predators. Trust me: You don’t want to be kicked by one of these animals.”

Even as they hope for the successful establishment of Wyoming’s newest large mammal, researchers aren’t giving up on the native big game that so many Wyomingite’s cherish. “Research is needed now more than ever to identify and map the critical habitats that migratory big game require,” Kauffman added.
With a successful introduction of kangaroos into Wyoming’s ecosystem, WMI will review other opportunities for the state to be home to other marsupial species. A short-list for future proposed introductions include the koala, wallaby and the endangered Tasmanian Devil.
Get a look at the migrations of Wyoming’s other big game species at migrationintiative.org.
"Every once in a while, I’m overwhelmed by the feeling that I’ve done something REALLY STUPID." -Hank (Hank the Cow Dog ,John R. Erickson)

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Re: First 90 Kangaroos released in Wyoming

Postby Faster horses » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:58 pm

:lol:

I wonder if they have horns and are related to Wyoming's Jackalope? :lol:
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

graybull

Postby graybull » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:46 pm

Not related..........Jackalopes are a native species while Kangaroos are illegal aliens.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:30 pm

I stole this and posted it on Weatherby Nation, most of the guys got it but a few were darn upset that they introduced a non native species into Wyoming. :D

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

DustDevil

Postby DustDevil » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:03 pm

Seems like a bad idea to me. Maybe it's payback for the rabbits we sent over there.

George
Rancher
Rancher

Postby George » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:45 pm

Am I the only one that noticed the date of the article?
Watch your thoughts, they become your words.
Watch your words, they become your actions.
Watch your actions, they become your habits.
Watch your habits, they become your character.
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:34 pm

George wrote:Am I the only one that noticed the date of the article?

No, that's why I used the laughing emoticon....and why Big Muddy posted what he did..."...most of the guys got it..."

Jody posted it on facebook and too many of them didn't 'get' it either. :D
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

DustDevil

Postby DustDevil » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:34 pm

Baaah ! I need to check my calendar more often. :D

Return to “Ranch Talk”