Ranchers.net Bull Session

Poor folks!

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
George
Rancher
Rancher

Poor folks!

Postby George » Fri May 19, 2017 12:34 pm

My father was killed on 13 April 1959 - - - My mom remarried 5th of June 1959 and the man she remarried moved us to a small farm in southern Indiana - - - then had back surgery and was in the hospital for almost 2 years. Once again I was needed to step up and provide for my Mom and three younger siblings - - - I made money trading pigs, calves and horses ( I remember one mule and one goat )

My step dad had been in the Navy during WWII and taught me knots and braiding - - - I started saving all the baling twine I could get my hands on and I made lead ropes, lounge lines and halters and bridles - - - some were very fancy and all were very strong. People loved the halters I made that had no metal but were still easy to put on or remove - - - I can't remember a single one every getting broken.

Just for fun I had my grand daughter braid some lead ropes - - - started out with 16 grass strings and 16 plastic strings all with the baler knot intact.

By having the grass and plastic wrap each other the ropes feel good in a bare hand but still have enough grip to not slip and cause rope burns.

I guarantee the rope is much stronger than the buckle!

Watch your thoughts, they become your words.
Watch your words, they become your actions.
Watch your actions, they become your habits.
Watch your habits, they become your character.
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Poor folks!

Postby Faster horses » Fri May 19, 2017 3:02 pm

We have done the same thing. Mr FH even learned to braid a different way. He also braided the loop going into the halter ring into the rope as he hates snaps. I wonder if we still have some of that around. I'll have to go and see. Good for your granddaughter! It's such fun showing them things.
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

Return to “Ranch Talk”