Ranchers.net Bull Session

June cattle

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
redrobin
Rancher
Rancher

Re: June cattle

Postby redrobin » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:35 am

WB wrote:Seriously, equiliribium of demand will be reached at some point. After that we will start backing product up again. Anyone remember the fall of 2015? The price of trucks has little to do with commodity prices. Yes, I own cattle all the way from baby calves to slaughter ready steers.

With other goods and services such as trucks inflating , we as ranchers need our product making new highs every few years.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:33 pm

redrobin wrote:
WB wrote:Seriously, equiliribium of demand will be reached at some point. After that we will start backing product up again. Anyone remember the fall of 2015? The price of trucks has little to do with commodity prices. Yes, I own cattle all the way from baby calves to slaughter ready steers.

With other goods and services such as trucks inflating , we as ranchers need our product making new highs every few years.

It's been that way since we started back in 1965. I remember a great friend who said in 1973, "the day of the $200 calf is gone." Look what happened in 1974! :shock: More like $150 steer calves.

It is still supply and demand (and politics, sad to say).

Best wishes to all who have cattle to sell!! I hope the market continues to rise.
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

Traveler
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Traveler » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:42 pm

PPRM
Rancher
Rancher

Postby PPRM » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:08 am

One of the strongest things for this market is how current cattle are in regards to finish. Carcass Weights are down. Not only seasonally, but significantly below the 5 year average.

When cattle first dropped, we held some over to Market in February. The weights were significant and there was no discounts. I know we weren't the only ones. This years carcass weights are below last years. I don't remember the last time I saw that for any amount of time. Especially with relatively cheap feed. In May, they dropped below the 5 year average.

This means overall tonnage is down and should be supportive for Fat Cattle Pricing. Wts should start to rise for the rest of the year. The Question is if they will stay below the 5 year average and last years.
The difference between a rut and a grave is the depth

PPRM

Return to “Ranch Talk”