Ranchers.net Bull Session

Hey Gcreek

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Hey Gcreek

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:27 pm

We got the smoke, but the signals are mixed :cowboy: :lol2: :lol2:

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

jodywy
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Hey Gcreek

Postby jodywy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:56 am

88 all over again only farther north
"Every once in a while, I’m overwhelmed by the feeling that I’ve done something REALLY STUPID." -Hank (Hank the Cow Dog ,John R. Erickson)

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:56 am

jodywy wrote:88 all over again only farther north

I'd agree, Jody. Have a fellow mineral dealer in Nashua that told me it's the worst he has ever seen it. I think he said
they have only had .4 rain since April. He thinks the grass will hold out til shipping, but the water is a real concern.
Every water source is drying up. That's really bad. If I had to choose between grass and water, I'd take water.
Sure feel bad for those folks. They have had many good years, sold a lot of hay out of there, even to us.
He said jokingly,"we'll be down to get it."

Now fires are starting to pop up in many areas. I feel bad for those folks.
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:37 pm

I haven't talked to Rodger for quite awhile. I'm sure it looks pretty much like here.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby gcreekrch » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:54 pm

The Forestry is doing their damndest to farm every fire going.

Thanks to loggers, ranchers and Volunteer Fire Depts for most of the positive work. A lot of the actual firefighters with boots in the ashes are not allowed to work when they should be on the fire. A grand disaster with Worksafe and Forestry brass to take the full blame for the monstrosity of these fires.

One example was water bombers dodging the smokes that have Williams Lake and near area in jeopardy to get to another fire. Wouldn't a fire boss with a brain have pulled a couple of them to douse the little fires? Those three little fires have now combined to one over 30,000 and still growing.

Mid June I got 2 emails from WL Fire Center. One was banning all campfires in the Chilcotin, the other announcing forestry plans to do a "controlled burn" of 230 acres. The Hancevill fire is now over 60,000 and growing. Caused by a hangfire from their controlled burn. Homes, ranches, hay yards, hundreds of cattle and ranges wiped out by one officious prick's decision to burn at an unsafe time.

Assholes, the whole works of them should spend time in prison.

You may have noticed my frustration. I'm hardly affected by anything but smoke, have friends who have lost most everything.
Don't tell people your problems, half of em' don't care and the other half are glad you got em' We can all run the neighbors better'n our own

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:16 pm

OH MY GOD! That's just plain WRONG, gcreek. Sickening. Jerks!
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

leanin' H
Rancher
Rancher

Postby leanin' H » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:21 pm

Sounds like the same sonsabitches are managing your fires as the ones down here. BLM and FS get paid to fight fires, not put them out! :mad: 9 lightning strikes since Monday have the desert on fire. We spent all day moving cattle down canyons out of the path of the biggest fire for a great friend. We did catch a break when the last storm had actual rain instead of lightning. First rain we have had since April. Stay safe my amigo! And lets all pray for a good 3inch rain for BC and everywhere else its needed.
A poor ride beats a great walk any day!
<Parry Taylor>

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby gcreekrch » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:27 am

I was wrong on one of my quotes the Hanceville fire is not 60,000 acres, it is 98000 hectares, a bit over 200,000 and still growing, still 0% contained. Friend and neighbors are saving another's house tonight at Riske Creek with no one from Forestry in attendance.
Don't tell people your problems, half of em' don't care and the other half are glad you got em' We can all run the neighbors better'n our own

mrj
Rancher
Rancher

Postby mrj » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:38 pm

My sympathies for all fighting fires, AND drought. And special prayers to those who are affected by obnoxious government agents and agencies apparently determined to make things even worse for those daring to make beneficial use of land they seem to believe belongs only to 'the public' and shouldn't be used for any benefit to individuals or families.

If there is real justice, those people will spend their after-life fighting horrendous endless fires with only dry gunny sacks and no water!

That may be harsh, but there seems no end to the idiocy. The recent fire in the SD Badlands south of Kadoka and Wall, and I'm not certain it has ended yet after about three days, due in no small part to mis-management by government and/or tribal agencies.

Several days have seen build-up of promising appearing thunderhead clouds, but little to no rain falls! It has been quite a few years since it has been this bad here, but most of us over age 70 have experienced several of them. Hate it! And really feel sorry for the younger ones trying to get established in ranching or farming businesses. Seems pretty painful for those for whom it is so much more than just a business or an investment.

mrj

greybeard

Postby greybeard » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:05 pm

Don't know how it works there but here the used to fight fire at night when it was down out of the treetops and sleep during the day when it was up and running.
Now they aren't allowed to fight fire. At night.
Any fool can see there are a lot more uncontrollable catastrophes.
They also consider it more important to spread the money around than it is to have the best stay the duration.
When you loose you have to blame it on global warming.

PureCountry
Rancher
Rancher

Postby PureCountry » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:00 pm

Been lucky where we are thus far, about 600 miles southeast of Gcreek, but had a couple small fires this past week. One was a lightning strike 4 miles up the valley, local crew got it out real quick with the help of a helicopter from forestry. Second fire a couple nights back was a hay shed, sounds like heated bales. Bad deal, the guy was pretty hasty making the hay I noticed, now he has 1 shed instead of 2, and half the hay he had a week ago. Crazy year, went from record high river levels flooding up to the back porch, to 3 months of above average temperatures with 2 inches of rain since early June.

Like Gcreek said, forestry ought to have their asses lined up for a public stoning. The s*** they allow to happen for logging, then the lack of grazing in areas that become match boxes of fuel, then the poor management when fires do occur, it's criminal.
There's 2 dates in time they'll carve on your stone, and everyone knows what they mean.
But what's more important is the time that is known, as that little dash there in between.

www.purecountry.ca

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby gcreekrch » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:36 am

Over 2,000,000 acres now and no end in sight.

Return to “Ranch Talk”