Ranchers.net Bull Session

COF/Cattle Inventory Reports

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
4Diamond
Rancher
Rancher

COF/Cattle Inventory Reports

Postby 4Diamond » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:13 pm

What did everyone see in the reports today? I'm not always smart enough to decipher all the numbers and what it means. A nice rain sure would lift my spirits more than these reports. We are burnt up, not near as bad as you guys west northwest but it's gotten real here this week.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Re: COF/Cattle Inventory Reports

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:35 pm

I haven't looked but I sold my string of strs today, 814 brought $193.75 the lighter strs up $212 Canadian dollars. They were a bit lighter then past years but I am 6 weeks earlier because of the drought. If I had grass they would have been heavier then past years. I'm satisfied, they are gone, and not crawling fence anywhere close to me.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

redrobin

Postby redrobin » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:24 pm

If you believe govt numbers , we should have a lot smaller placement number this fall. I say it's bearish October and bullish April . Eventually.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:58 am

Big Muddy rancher wrote:I haven't looked but I sold my string of strs today, 814 brought $193.75 the lighter strs up $212 Canadian dollars. They were a bit lighter then past years but I am 6 weeks earlier because of the drought. If I had grass they would have been heavier then past years. I'm satisfied, they are gone, and not crawling fence anywhere close to me.

Sounds like a good sale to me, BMR. Congratulations!
Most likely they would have brought the same dollars per head regardless of weight. That's what is happening here.
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:02 am

Faster horses wrote:
Big Muddy rancher wrote:I haven't looked but I sold my string of strs today, 814 brought $193.75 the lighter strs up $212 Canadian dollars. They were a bit lighter then past years but I am 6 weeks earlier because of the drought. If I had grass they would have been heavier then past years. I'm satisfied, they are gone, and not crawling fence anywhere close to me.

Sounds like a good sale to me, BMR. Congratulations!
Most likely they would have brought the same dollars per head regardless of weight. That's what is happening here.

Ya pretty much, I couldn't make the sale so will analyze it better when I get returns.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Brad S
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Brad S » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:12 pm

Govt numbers may have accidentally gotten it right. Many, if not most of the really big yards are full up as in not trying to place more. If corn stays pretty cheap, these placements can build a mountain of beef. Modern genetics can hold up, even to previously unbelievable weights. I think the corn drought market is over done, but I always think corn farmers will get it done. Be interesting to watch

scout

Postby scout » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:43 pm

The corn around here looks good but 150 miles away they don't even think it will be worth chopping. I think we are in for a wild ride both in the grains and cattle markets
the early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese

Return to “Ranch Talk”