Ranchers.net Bull Session

Hay Making

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
highgrit

Re: Hay Making

Postby highgrit » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:11 pm

Going to bale at the house tomorrow and Cedar Grove on Monday...might have to turn the lights on.

mrj
Rancher
Rancher

Postby mrj » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:49 am

We need lights on to do anything like reading right now, but which is it, eclipse, or just storm clouds??? Can't really tell, but sure could use some more rain. Probably can see the eclipse better on TV or internet from here, cloudy or clear. May be some disappointed 'viewers' if it is this overcast in prime viewing areas.

mrj

m5farm

Postby m5farm » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:07 pm

Im in about 86% totality for the eclipse , You can see a slight change in light outside , a little overcast and a few spotty showers popping up so it may obscure it. I just walked out with the welding helmet and its about 25% covered. I got the hay baled yesterday so hopefully we get a shower the next few day after i get fertilizer put out

PPRM
Rancher
Rancher

Postby PPRM » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:49 pm

m5farm wrote:Im in about 86% totality for the eclipse , You can see a slight change in light outside , a little overcast and a few spotty showers popping up so it may obscure it. I just walked out with the welding helmet and its about 25% covered. I got the hay baled yesterday so hopefully we get a shower the next few day after i get fertilizer put out

We were in a 97% area. I was changing a hose on a hydraulic chute and able to stop occasionally and watch.

I was alive for the one in 1979. I remember nothing of it. So, in a way, I was braced for it not being more than what it was. I read about what to expect though. The cool breeze and drop in temperature was pretty cool. We didn't get dark, more like when my self tinting glasses respond to stepping outside.

I forgot to check out shadows. Some friends posted pictures that were pretty cool in that regard. We have friend that are self proclaimed science nerds. They posted really cool pictures as they had the right camera to do so. They also had the right telescope to watch.

I think the other thing.... It felt like people kind of came together for a moment without tearing each other down. Maybe even like God was saying, "Can I get your attention for just a moment?". I enjoyed it.

My favorite quote, "The eclipse was a raging success. We love can see why the Ancients went to extremes to keep the Asunción God happy...human sacrifices? Why not? It couldn't hurt."..... Ummmm Except those being sacrificed.
The difference between a rut and a grave is the depth

PPRM

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:22 pm

We were in a 68% area, I got to see the sun about 20% covered before it clouded over. First clouds we've had in days, then it cleared right up as soon as the eclipse was over lol. But it was way better than the letdown I experience in 1979 as that eclipse was completely cloud obscured.

highgrit

Postby highgrit » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:39 am

All the Eclipse did here was cause it to rain. The hay was to wet to bale yesterday but the weather is looking good to finally finish up with the baling today.

m5farm

Postby m5farm » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:27 am

highgrit wrote:All the Eclipse did here was cause it to rain. The hay was to wet to bale yesterday but the weather is looking good to finally finish up with the baling today.

forecast looks decent the next 2 days with 20% but Ive had more hay wet with 20% than 40% , kick it in high gear and get it wadded up

TMac

Postby TMac » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:12 pm

Here in south western Virginia just hoping for 2nd cutting . Been very dry.

highgrit

Postby highgrit » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:16 pm

Finally done with baling and have all the hay home, next on the list is getting it wrapped. I'm slap wore out.

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:18 pm

Hay is all in the yard here. Feels good to be done for another year.

m5farm

Postby m5farm » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:30 am

I'm trying to plan getting fertilizer out and might get a 4th cutting

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby gcreekrch » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:29 pm

Thank God I've only got to cover these rough swamps once!

Is that average quitting time for you Silver or are you early? We are at the same point we usually are in late Sept with about 3 days cutting left. 1/2 a day in late Sept for our oats. New for us.
Don't tell people your problems, half of em' don't care and the other half are glad you got em' We can all run the neighbors better'n our own

Return to “Ranch Talk”