Ranchers.net Bull Session

Generational disasters

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
mrj
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Generational disasters

Postby mrj » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:00 pm

Has anyone else heard, as I have, serious predictions for Yellowstones' next disaster to be a volcano? I believe that was predicted soon after the Mt. St. Helens' mess.

I do agree that the 'doom and gloom prophets' sure do seem to enjoy frightening people with fears of even worse than the 'disaster of the moment'! And sure don't doubt that many politicians use them for politican gains, AND opportunities to add ever more regulations.

There is one regulation desperately needed, and that is not to pay for 'flood damage' for buildings in the very same location time after time. It is a flood plain, either design buildings on stilts with ground level area for garages and/or outdoor living areas like patio's, or turn the most flood prone areas into parks!

Admitting we did build a walk-out basement in an area that flooded in 1927, and water did get almost to the door about three years ago isn't easy. We should have gotten advice (sorry for the interruption) on how to better design additions to our house, originally two old claim shacks to which my in-laws added a kitchen and bath with 'real running water' after we had a couple of kids. Two more kids and we were out of room, so we basically added a house to that addition, later tearing down the original part and replacing it with a family room and garage. The part with the walk-out basement on one side should have been a split level on the 'higher ground level' on the opposite side of the first addition. I went with the best view, so have had the flood worries. However, if we were to get the 1927 type flood, the entire basement of bedrooms, sewing and laundry rooms would be full of water...... Guess the 'blessing' of having the more prevalent drought years have 'saved' us from major flood damage.

mrj
Last edited by mrj on Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

TexasBred
Rancher
Rancher

Postby TexasBred » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:30 pm

mrj saw a program on TV a few weeks ago about that exact thing. Seems there is an existing mega volcano underneath Yellowstone. Hasn't erupted in about 600,000 years but time for it to do it again. If they are right in their hypothesis it could more or less wipe out civilization as we know it.
Nothing but a beggar trying to show other beggars where I found bread.

PPRM
Rancher
Rancher

Postby PPRM » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:36 pm

leanin' H wrote:Generational disasters is a misleading media term, like pink slime! :mad: This Houston flooding was a "1000 year storm" according to the press. Now I am not in any diminishing the damage and loss of life Harvey brought, but weather records have clearly shown the same flooding or worse down there in the 1930's. We live in a generation of dishonest journalism. Anything for a headline or to grab more mouse clicks. We have drought and fire and floods and earthquakes where I live, although floods are rare. Even had a few tornados. I guess I wonder if we are having more disasters or if they are just hyped and publicized more?

Another example is the comments about the fire season. Ummmm.... The Great fire of 1910 (Also known as Devilsbroom) was 3 million acres. It stretched from Eastern Washington, across Northern Idaho and Montana (As well as parts of BC I believe).
The difference between a rut and a grave is the depth

PPRM

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:19 pm

PPRM wrote:
leanin' H wrote:Generational disasters is a misleading media term, like pink slime! :mad: This Houston flooding was a "1000 year storm" according to the press. Now I am not in any diminishing the damage and loss of life Harvey brought, but weather records have clearly shown the same flooding or worse down there in the 1930's. We live in a generation of dishonest journalism. Anything for a headline or to grab more mouse clicks. We have drought and fire and floods and earthquakes where I live, although floods are rare. Even had a few tornados. I guess I wonder if we are having more disasters or if they are just hyped and publicized more?

Another example is the comments about the fire season. Ummmm.... The Great fire of 1910 (Also known as Devilsbroom) was 3 million acres. It stretched from Eastern Washington, across Northern Idaho and Montana (As well as parts of BC I believe).

WOW, PPRM. I had never heard that. :shock: I'll have to read up on it.

IMO, predicting these 'natural disasters' is about as accurate as political polling.
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

m5farm

Postby m5farm » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:17 am

I Feel for yall in fire country , Ill take hurricanes and water anyday of the week

Return to “Ranch Talk”