Ranchers.net Bull Session

Chain saws

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Texan
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Chain saws

Postby Texan » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:52 am

I've got saws with bars up to 32", but the older I get, the less likely I am to pick up a 60cc+ saw anymore - LOL. Sometimes I have to, but now if I can get by with a smaller saw, I do it. I find that a 30-40 cc saw will do almost everything I need to do, anyway.

I use Marine Stabil in my mix year around. Also a cap of Seafoam per gallon of mix. Try to use ethanol free, but it's not always easy to find. Stihl synthetic two-stroke oil. If I know that I'm not going to be using a saw for a while, I pour up the gas and let it idle until it dies. The advice of starting one up every month or two is hard to beat.

RSL
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Chain saws

Postby RSL » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:20 am

Finally shelled out on a proper Stihl a couple of years ago and kick myself we never did it sooner. Do the maintenance on it, and use the Stihl canned gas and it works better than any saw we have ever owned.
I am currently looking at one of the cordless Stihl ones. A neighbour bought his wife one for their anniversary (brave guy) and she loves it. It weighs about 5 pounds, and she says it will but 400 3" posts on a single charge. Thought it would work good on the saddle horse and around the yard, framing projects, etc.
You can't teach a stick to fetch a dog...
www.roundrockranching.com

Return to “Ranch Talk”