Ranchers.net Bull Session

sack over the head

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
jodywy
Rancher
Rancher

sack over the head

Postby jodywy » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:01 pm

Think that the single biggest lost on a newborn calf is the sack still over the head. found a some with it still over the head or nose , or feel the licked off dead calf might of had one that didn't get cleaned off fast enough. Just checking cows and ran over and broke a sack on a calf I was watching be born......
"Every once in a while, I’m overwhelmed by the feeling that I’ve done something REALLY STUPID." -Hank (Hank the Cow Dog ,John R. Erickson)

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Re: sack over the head

Postby Faster horses » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:06 pm

It happens more than we like to think. Glad you caught that one, Jody.
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:22 pm

Miserable feeling to find born dead calf I'm sure the sack over the head takes more then we think.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Haytrucker

Postby Haytrucker » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:38 pm

I think we lose way more that way than coming breech. I've saved less than I've lost. The golden 30 seconds makes all the difference. Tough loss when you find one and you know.

Traveler
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Traveler » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:40 am

Sometimes it's like doing battle with a bear to save the calf. They're not immediately appreciative.

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:17 pm

Pulled several off this year, haven't lost one yet to it this season thankfully. Like Traveler said though, sometimes it's a battle and there is never a thank you.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:44 pm

Once Mr. FH had a cow in the barn that he was watching. He went out and sat in this pickup, thinking it slows the cow down when a human is right there watching. He wasn't there long at all, went back in to check on the progress. The calf was aleady dead, sack over its head, cow licking the wrong end. :(
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

Haytrucker

Postby Haytrucker » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:56 pm

Regarding Travelers comment, true story, over and over. Be nice if they showed that enthusiasm cleaning off junior. Worst example this year wasn't a bear, but a prolapsed heifer. Sack over the whole front half of the calf. In 24 hours the heifer went on the same truck.
I almost prefer they get up as the calf passes the hips. Never worry about suffocation. Maybe I have seen three calves with a broken neck, 5 or 6 the cow killed, 25 or 30 of those I prevented. North of 50 I know suffocated, that many more I wondered about. Out of the last 1250-1500 ish. Some years that has been the only losses.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:32 pm

Yea it sucks when you go out in the morning and a calf is all licked off the cow claiming it and it's dead probably from the sack over the head. Everything that went right to get the calf then that happens.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Soapweed
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Soapweed » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:40 am

On a slightly different note, through the years I've had a few cows choke to death eating afterbirth. One year, two nice three-year-old cows died that way within a week of each other.

Nicky
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Nicky » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:59 am

Our neighbors were here shooting squirrels last week while we were at church. The boys wanted to go home but the parents didn't so they went to shoot in the calving lot for awhile...saw a cow calving and the calf had the sack on. Good thing they were here and knew what they were doing!

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:39 am

To quote Gcreek--"regardless of how hard we try, we can't kill them all." :D

Return to “Ranch Talk”