Ranchers.net Bull Session

Spring storm

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
4Diamond
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Spring storm

Postby 4Diamond » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:15 am

Tornados close to here last night, a lot of damage about ten miles down the road from me.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:48 pm

So sorry to hear that. I saw a picture of a fire in Oklahoma...weather is wicked just about everywhere, it seems.
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

mrj
Rancher
Rancher

Postby mrj » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:59 pm

Relatively beautiful day today. Probably got about 6" snow. Temp this am was about 20%, and now 35% likely high for the day, with only 7% predicted for tomorrow AM.

First report I heard from our crew was at least ten dead calves. The rescue and revive and feeding continues, and I've not heard from anyone since then. Guess 'lunch' will be 'whenever'. I do see a bit of a breeze winding up, and the snow on the hills across the creed is settling into the ground. What little grass there is is sticking up a little now. Guess most snow blew into the draws and gullies. Time will tell if the benefits of moisture outweigh the losses of calves. Maybe we will be changing to even later calving dates, since both heifers and cows seem to have 'jumped the gun' on their due dates this year.

Good calving dates are debatable here, since we can get calf killing blizzards well into May.....as well as cow killing heat if they have a tough delivery on a hot day even in mid-May.

mrj

jodywy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby jodywy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:29 pm

mrj wrote:Relatively beautiful day today. Probably got about 6" snow. Temp this am was about 20%, and now 35% likely high for the day, with only 7% predicted for tomorrow AM.

First report I heard from our crew was at least ten dead calves. The rescue and revive and feeding continues, and I've not heard from anyone since then. Guess 'lunch' will be 'whenever'. I do see a bit of a breeze winding up, and the snow on the hills across the creed is settling into the ground. What little grass there is is sticking up a little now. Guess most snow blew into the draws and gullies. Time will tell if the benefits of moisture outweigh the losses of calves. Maybe we will be changing to even later calving dates, since both heifers and cows seem to have 'jumped the gun' on their due dates this year.

Good calving dates are debatable here, since we can get calf killing blizzards well into May.....as well as cow killing heat if they have a tough delivery on a hot day even in mid-May.

mrj
was told to calve when the elk calve.... that would have been june.... but my thoughts the elk were a thousand feet or more higher when they calve
"Every once in a while, I’m overwhelmed by the feeling that I’ve done something REALLY STUPID." -Hank (Hank the Cow Dog ,John R. Erickson)

Haytrucker

Postby Haytrucker » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:40 pm

We thankfully rode the storm out on the south end. Warmed one calf early, that perked right up. Never found a mom for it, thinking ghost twin maybe. Only one cow with a full bag by dark, should have a 4-10 calf. If that is the only one we find I call it a win. Nasty weather, we'll invent a mom for the stray. Hoping for as good of outcome for everyone else... For perspective, mrj, that one is out of 150 ish, in that group. The 36 pairs we got to the spring ranch weathered fine, not sure about the feedlot bunch. Going N to mass treat their calves tomorrow. Get them straightened out in time to start doctoring here I suppose. Gotta love April.

Return to “Ranch Talk”