Ranchers.net Bull Session

Ivomec

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Ivomec

Postby Faster horses » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:54 am

VB RANCH wrote:There is a guy here that buys a lot of calves and back grounds them for a while
he has had real good luck with, cylence pour-on
suppose to be different dope
we have had a bad winter here for lice
all that hair rubbed off every where
is a damn fire hazard

We used Cylence for years on the recommendation of the Vigortone veterinarian. We had never heard of it til then. It is an excellent product. It was reasonably priced, too. We liked the applicator. We used it so long, we finally had to go to something else, as with anything you use over a long period of time. It was by far our favorite product.

I like Stockman's Supply too! Nice that you found a good source for Ned Jr., VB Ranch.
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:12 pm

I used Cylence and liked it but in Canada we pay $375/ 3 liter jugs in the USA similar size jugs was under $90. I contacted Bayer about this and was told it was because of difference in Social and economic regions. I called Bull s*** and there wasn't much difference between White Tail MT and Big Beaver Sask. They wouldn't talk to me any more. I now use Saber.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Ned Jr.

Postby Ned Jr. » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:23 am

Thanks, It doesn’t look like injectable Ivomec is available from Stockmans Supply either. I asked a owner of a feed/vet store yesterday why it was nearly impossible to find injectable ivomec. Her theory was everyone was afraid there might be new regulations coming and they didn’t want to get stuck with it on their shelves. I don’t really agree with that, I think there would be time before that happened and people would gobble up all the supply around.

Ned Jr.

Postby Ned Jr. » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:41 am

I always give injectable ivomec. If I have them in a chute anyway I’d rather inject it. I’ve read the reason ivomec has became less effective is partly from people under dosing and the article partly blamed pour ons. It said pour on didn’t always get good contact with the skin and was affected by weather. The low dose doesn’t kill them and basically vaccinates the worms against its effectiveness, builds immunity.

4Diamond
Rancher
Rancher

Postby 4Diamond » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:17 am

I know Long-range injectable is becoming hard to source.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:12 am

Ned Jr. wrote:I always give injectable ivomec. If I have them in a chute anyway I’d rather inject it. I’ve read the reason ivomec has became less effective is partly from people under dosing and the article partly blamed pour ons. It said pour on didn’t always get good contact with the skin and was affected by weather. The low dose doesn’t kill them and basically vaccinates the worms against its effectiveness, builds immunity.

Yep, injectable ivomec is the most efficient of the avermectin products. Why not use Safeguard drench? The applicator works pretty well and it sure is an effective way to control worms, actually eliminates more worm species than Ivomec anyway. I realize it isn't as easy as an injection.
Here's an idea, buy a feed through with Safe-guard and you won't even have to run them through a chute unless you want to de-lice
them. Injectible ivomec won't get external parasites either. Honestly, the feed-throughs with Safeguard work really well.
Hope this helps!
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

Ned Jr.

Postby Ned Jr. » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:49 am

Faster horses wrote:
Ned Jr. wrote:I always give injectable ivomec. If I have them in a chute anyway I’d rather inject it. I’ve read the reason ivomec has became less effective is partly from people under dosing and the article partly blamed pour ons. It said pour on didn’t always get good contact with the skin and was affected by weather. The low dose doesn’t kill them and basically vaccinates the worms against its effectiveness, builds immunity.

Yep, injectable ivomec is the most efficient of the avermectin products. Why not use Safeguard drench? The applicator works pretty well and it sure is an effective way to control worms, actually eliminates more worm species than Ivomec anyway. I realize it isn't as easy as an injection.
Here's an idea, buy a feed through with Safe-guard and you won't even have to run them through a chute unless you want to de-lice
them. Injectible ivomec won't get external parasites either. Honestly, the feed-throughs with Safeguard work really well.
Hope this helps!

Thanks! Definitely worth considering! I’ve never enjoyed drenching much but there a lot of easy ways to give safeguard. Something I should look into more. I went ahead and ordered dectomax again this year. I think it’s a good product. I was mostly just curious if anyone knew the reason why ivomec injectable was unavailable now.

Return to “Ranch Talk”