Ranchers.net Bull Session

Just a haying between the rains

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Haytrucker

Re: Just a haying between the rains

Postby Haytrucker » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:48 pm

There is no average weather, that is a compilation of the extremes. Sure shouldn't complain because we haven't had any fires.

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:14 pm

Ya, I'd sooner deal with this than drought. At least the pastures look great. Wrapped 171 bales today so we are making progress.

Broke Cowboy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Broke Cowboy » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:08 pm

redrobin wrote:
Broke Cowboy wrote:When all else fails wrap it - the quality is there - costs more but makes excellent feed.
hello old friend. I hope all is well. I see the boy raping rag heads didn't kill you yet.

LOL - enough of them tried - had a visit from a cop in Tennessee last week - he was my main shooter when we were in the "Stan - little guy as tough as nails - he brought his son up for the visit - brought me a few gifts from the guys as well.

Hate to admit it but I dropped a few tears when we hugged goodbye - an absolutely awesome guy who will be a friend for life.

You be safe and have a great weekend.
Last edited by Broke Cowboy on Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tell The Bank To Get Stuffed

Broke Cowboy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Broke Cowboy » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:10 pm

Haytrucker wrote:B C, we aren't set up to wrap wet bales. Plan B here is chop the remainder out of the regrowth. Finally had a day without rain and 4 more forecast. Good thing I caught up on my rest. Grazing looks real good. Win some, bale some crap hay.

Chopping works - I have used the feed but never made it - hope it goes well.

Cheers
Tell The Bank To Get Stuffed

Haytrucker

Postby Haytrucker » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:01 am

We're gaining. The rained down oats were a mess, but we rolled 135 real nice alfalfa bales tonight. It was bloomy when cut, but you take the good when you get it. Started the pivots tonight, spose it's almost fire season.

RSL
Rancher
Rancher

Postby RSL » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:50 pm

It is nice to hear some folks are making out OK with feed. Did an extended tour yesterday (south of halkirk, down to Oyen and home). It is really patchy. 2 miles of difference could makes 10x difference in yields. We got a letter from our AFSC moisture insurance that said we don't get a payout. We had less than 10% of the precipitation our closest insurance weather station had in June.
Our corn looks amazing considering, our cover crop looks really good, but our hay is pitiful. It takes about 15 minutes to roll up a bale at 7mph.
This is our cover crop on 3.5" of rain total... It is a mix of oats, forage wheat, fall rye, sweet clover, BMR84 corn, Forage Rape, Forage Brassica and Grazing Turnips.
You can't teach a stick to fetch a dog...
www.roundrockranching.com

Return to “Ranch Talk”