Ranchers.net Bull Session

Interesting Read

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
James

Re: Interesting Read

Postby James » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:17 am

Jody that is my thinking so I just stay with my tried and true mowers a lot cheaper than mocos
Too soar with the eagles you have to get out of the turkey pen

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:29 am

I traded a 18ft New Holland 1475 haybine off my first Kosch double 9 hydraulic drive mowers and picked up a set a year newer then mine. If I can get 2 operators we can knock a bunch of hay down in a hurry.
I sold my 14 wheel piece of junk rake and bought a Bridgeview 18 wheel to stuff the Vermeer 605N. We can get the hay up in a hurry "If" I can keep operators in the seats and everything running.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:04 pm

Been pretty happy with the 605n until this year broke the main drive roll. It has a 1.75” hex shaft running through it, shaft broke off flush with outside end of roll, just an inch or so from the bearing. Took almost a week to get the $1500 part. I was pretty sad about that. Been an incredible baler otherwise.

Brad S
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Brad S » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:27 am

Used to hear grow back on alfalfa was faster with sickle mower over a disc mower. So far as I can tell, there isn’t a grow back difference.

Now I hear you have to remove and sharpen blades on a disc mower every day. Can that be so?

Haytrucker

Postby Haytrucker » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:23 pm

Brad we just flip them over then change them as needed. That varies with conditions but I would guess a set lasts 500 acres.

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:27 am

I run the grinder over the blades when they look poor while they are on the machine. Takes 5 minutes to touch them up. I only flip them over when the end gets rounded off, and only change them when overly bent or broken or both ends to rounded.

littlejoe
Rancher
Rancher

Postby littlejoe » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:05 pm

What do newer mowers have for guards?

Still got a farmall A with mounted mower here--'36 or so---mow driveway and ditches very occasionally with it. Single heavy guard with ledger plate.

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby gcreekrch » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:13 pm

Silver wrote:I run the grinder over the blades when they look poor while they are on the machine. Takes 5 minutes to touch them up. I only flip them over when the end gets rounded off, and only change them when overly bent or broken or both ends to rounded.

Same here Silver, we should pay the freight on the knives those rich Americans are throwing away. Might be cheaper than new............
Don't tell people your problems, half of em' don't care and the other half are glad you got em' We can all run the neighbors better'n our own

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:28 pm

littlejoe wrote:What do newer mowers have for guards?

Still got a farmall A with mounted mower here--'36 or so---mow driveway and ditches very occasionally with it. Single heavy guard with ledger plate.

Mine have a double guard similar to a swather. No replaceable ledger on them.

I can't tame wild women.

lavacarancher

Postby lavacarancher » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:51 am

I think next hay season (if I'm still alive) I'm going to come up and watch you folks work hay. Maybe one of you will put me on a swather and turn me loose for a day or so.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:35 pm

lavacarancher wrote:I think next hay season (if I'm still alive) I'm going to come up and watch you folks work hay. Maybe one of you will put me on a swather and turn me loose for a day or so.

I would put you on a double 9 Kosch for a month :D

I can't tame wild women.

RSL
Rancher
Rancher

Postby RSL » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:15 pm

Here is our new cutter running this week.
Just turn your head sideways... I was going too fast to remember to turn the phone or look back.
https://www.facebook.com/sean.mcgrath.1485/videos/10155964693764624/
This was greenfeed at 10mph. I got onto a hayfield after and averaged 12.5.
Since we moved to a discbine, I will never go back to a regular cutter bar. I can change the entire length of knives fort less than the cost of a single guard on our old haybine, and if the field is smooth you can really motor. If it is not smooth I have to slow down to 6 mph.
After wrecking our JD this summer, I upgraded to this new Pottinger. It was less than 1/2 the cost of a JD, and is built at least equally as well, and the conditioner is a lot better. Has an extra bar behind the cutter head for rock protection.

That said, we have had not a lot of rain this year and dad has been cutting prairie with a David Brown and a NH sickle mower. I think at 81 years old, the nostalgia makes it his happy place. The Massey rake is a 1955 (I think) that is worth exactly the same amount of cash as the day it was new. It looks pretty good compared to the 1/4 to 1/2 bale per acre on the tame stuff.

You can't teach a stick to fetch a dog...
www.roundrockranching.com

Return to “Ranch Talk”