Ranchers.net Bull Session

restoring old shelter belts--SH??....

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Chuckie

restoring old shelter belts--SH??....

Postby Chuckie » Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:26 pm

ok people, i'm a "long-time listener, first-time caller". i have an old shelterbelt, need some ideas as to what to take out, what to leave in.. i do want to maintain wildlife habitat (which is why i've simply let it go "natural" for the last 5 yrs), but it's getting too trashy- i think. if it helps, it's about 50 yds wide, 200 yds long, runs west to east. any help will be much appreciated! :roll:

Jason
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Jason » Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:42 pm

What kind of trees and how much is still alive?

Going in with a chain saw and cutting dead fall is always a good idea. Dead limbs can still be drawing on the trees resources.

The continued drought has been hard on trees, they might need extra water. If you have the ability to get them some water it certianly wouldn't hurt.

Some good compost and and or other fertilizer could be a benefit too.

frasercattleco

Postby frasercattleco » Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:43 pm

Chuckie,

Most people will leave brush, and thick vegetation such as willows in there, but willows and other fast spreading hearty trees will starve the other native trees of nutrients and h2o. The first thing would be get rid of all of the weeds, grass, and small vegetation around the perimeter, spread some time release fertilizer, and plant small cottonwood trees in the spaces. Make sure to cut the vegetation in the summer when it is not dormant, you will have less re-growth that way, and plant the smaller trees out of their growing season to lessen stress on the fragile little plants.

Chuckie

Postby Chuckie » Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:37 pm

here's the quandry: this is an older shelter belt (trees 50' high), i want to maintain some wildlife habitat, encourage mushroom growth with downed trees, yet keep and encourage new (good) growth. should i just call my extension agent? or save parts and renew parts? you guys have the answers, you've done it......i have faith...

Oldtimer

Postby Oldtimer » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:16 pm

Chuckie- get a few (don't know how big an area you have) sheep or goats-- they'll clean out a shelterbelt for you and keep the trash and weeds from growing back-fertilize it at the same time........

Chuckie

Postby Chuckie » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:38 pm

oldtimer, been thinking about getting some goats anyway, but should i chainsaw/burn dead stuff? and will the goats eat the small but good stuff ? (bet they will...!) and should i even worry about it at this stage? remember, we're talking 50 yards wide by 200 long. i hate decisions sometimes :!:

Denny
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Denny » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:43 pm

chuckie wrote:oldtimer, been thinking about getting some goats anyway, but should i chainsaw/burn dead stuff? and will the goats eat the small but good stuff ? (bet they will...!) and should i even worry about it at this stage? remember, we're talking 50 yards wide by 200 long. i hate decisions sometimes :!:

My dad has a creek bottom by his house full of brush and poisen ivy he fenced it 2 years ago put some goats in there now it looks like a park.Now they graze a couple of horses in there...

Chuckie

Postby Chuckie » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:56 pm

so, i guess i'll get a couple of goats (BTW--the goat-meat market is supposed to be under-supplied for the next 20 yrs-yes,twenty-in the US of A,ask agman if you don't believe me), clear that old shelterbelt out and make a ton of money. :lol: it's on a good enough slope that i doubt i'll miss out on many 'shrooms anyway...sigh.....just have to do the math: how many 90# goats does it take to load a 50,000# bull rack??

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:01 pm

chuckie wrote:so, i guess i'll get a couple of goats (BTW--the goat-meat market is supposed to be under-supplied for the next 20 yrs-yes,twenty-in the US of A,ask agman if you don't believe me), clear that old shelterbelt out and make a ton of money. :lol: it's on a good enough slope that i doubt i'll miss out on many 'shrooms anyway...sigh.....just have to do the math: how many 90# goats does it take to load a 50,000# bull rack??

Your a braver man then me. The saying goes that you build a fence then throw water on it .If any goes thru so will goats. :cowboy:

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:30 pm

That's funny, BMR. Hadn't heard that before.

This subject reminds me of my husband going to our neighbors where they had baby goats. Animal lover that he is, when he got home he really talked about those goats and how cute they were, and that he would like to have a couple. I said, "NO. Don't even think about it." It hurt his feelings but he got over it.

Some weeks later he was back over there. When he came home he told me how glad he was that I said NO to the goats. They were on top of the vehicles and he didn't think they were nearly so cute then!!

rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby rancher » Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:47 pm

I had a brother that raised goats to milk for calves. They are just like kids, you punish them when they do wrong they listen. He had 8 of them and never had one crawl a fence or get on an outfit. Picky eaters as if he switched grain they would go off it, but then these were milkers.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

Chuckie

Postby Chuckie » Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:55 pm

i have to tell you that the best fence for goats that i ever found (and i used to breed dairy goats back home when i was "young"), is electric fence, 3 to 4 strands. they don't climb it (!), and if you can break the kids to it when it's wet out (good connection, ya know!), they'll never really test it (unlike some cows i've known). as a matter of fact, the only time i can recall that fence being broken was when we took one of the does away to be bred, and our horse got so upset that he ran thru it, hollering the whole way! he was NOT happy at being deprived of his buddy (even tho there were 4 other goats to keep him company).

Return to “Ranch Talk”