Ranchers.net Bull Session

restoring old shelter belts--SH??....

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:58 pm

I just remembered another 'goat' story.

In Western Montana, our hayground laid up on a bench behind the house. We wintered the cows there. One morning my husband heard the cows clear down at the house. They were bawling something awful. He went to check and there was a big ole' Billy Goat in with those cows. Were they ever upset about it! They didn't like it even a little bit. They were chasing the poor goat all over the place. It was funny. Ny husband was horseback and decided to rope the goat to get him out of the cows. The horse he was riding was kind of spooky anyway, and he didn't want to get very close to the goat. He run up on him, and then kind of suck back, so that was funny as well. Finally, my husband got a rope on the goat and then he wished he hadn't. That Billy goat stunk so bad, he had to throw his rope away!!!

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:15 pm

I was down visiting Dale Fellman at Jordan MT. His ranch was next to Benny Binion's place. Well anyways they had a goat that showed up out of nowhere,and there is a lot of that in that country and just hung with the cows for a couple of years.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Chuckie

Postby Chuckie » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:17 pm

FH, i bet that poor horse thought your guy wanted him to rope a skunk-something no self-respecting cowhorse would do. wish i could've been there... :lol: (i love those emoticons!) anyway, there is a way to really reduce the smell of a buck goat, but we didn't have enough does to make a buck worth our while to keep at the time. the bad part was, when the horse bailed, he only had about 100 yds to go before he hit a highway so we all kinda panicked, but got him caught and put up before a disaster occurred.
i hear stories from drivers about how hard it is to load goats--they don't drive like cattle and sheep do!

Brad S
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Brad S » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:47 am

OK Chuckie, this is Ranchers Net, and we don't agree on anything. I don't think you want any goats in your rejuvenating shelterbelt as they'll eat down all new trees.

I see you're from NE Nebraska, is that north east enough to be an oak/hickory biome? I'd like to see you get a bunch of oaks growing 20 years ago, or as soon as possible. Now you will need to evaluate your canapy, perhaps the young trees will need more sunlight. BTW Nebraska has a great forrestry service, and you can use your computer for access.

Chuckie

Postby Chuckie » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:02 pm

brad s-- i dug out my tree id book, will attempt to use it (perhaps this weekend), plus email my trusty ext agents this week. i know 2 things for sure about the shelterbelt: 1) has too many mulberrys in the fringes, and 2) i need to id the canopy trees. then maybe get the goats in there to clear crap brush/trees, pull them out, remove (or maybe not) deadwood and do judicious replanting...

Return to “Ranch Talk”