Ranchers.net Bull Session

shelter belt help-come on you guys/girls

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Chuckie

shelter belt help-come on you guys/girls

Postby Chuckie » Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:43 pm

i have an older shelter belt that i'm not sure what to do to maintain; you all can help, just get your heads out of borders/r-calf/etc. see: post in ranch talk. love ya'all! please reply--need input!

rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby rancher » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:15 pm

Mow or till down the rows, leave the old grass if you want for birds and such. Tried to post awhile ago and it wouldn't go through.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

Chuckie

Postby Chuckie » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:21 pm

rancher, you're one of a kind (!), but if you saw this shelterbelt, you would FORGET the mowing nonsense--it would take a bulldozer!! i'm just rying to figure out what to save, what to pull out and burn and what to coddle....what's good to save, what to "euthanize"?

Kato
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Kato » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:23 pm

What kind and size of trees do you have?
Always drive the truck so you don't have to get out and open the gate.

rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby rancher » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:25 pm

If it is alive keep it, in my country any tree is a good tree. The drought is taking a toll on my cottonwoods. You could get the BLM to do a back fire, they need lots of practice. Every back fire I have seen has burnt more than the orginal fire. So number the trees, put in a hat and pull out numbers for the trees you want to keep. Hell I don't know, call your extension agent. :lol:
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

Kato
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Kato » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:28 pm

Or put up an ad in town offering free firewood! :lol:
Always drive the truck so you don't have to get out and open the gate.

Chuckie

Postby Chuckie » Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:04 pm

well,geez you guys! if i let the BLM/volunteer FD have at it, i wonder if my property insurance covers it? free firewood: i'd have no shelterbelt at all (and this one is on the north side), so forget that. i'm thinking i like oldtimers idea of goats to clean it up (and make MONEY!!)--i'm no worse than a cattle feeder, right??!! lol

~SH~

Postby ~SH~ » Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:06 pm

Sorry Chuckie,

Without more information on the current status of your belt it's hard to say.

We had an old shelterbelt with standing dead chinese elm trees throughout it. As long as these dead trees are standing they still provide windbreak.

What we did was take out the outside row of caraganas, towards the prevailing wind, and replace it with a row of Rocky Mountain Junipers and added another row of Rocky Mountain Junipers where the fence used to be.

Once these trees grow up enough to provide adequate windbreak, we will take out two more rows and replant them with another row of RMJ's and a row of Hackberrys.

If you are from NE nebraska, I would plant nothing but Rocky Mountain Junipers for windbreak.

Put them in fabric too and ask your conservation district about cost share on the fabric. They will grow so much faster. I planted RMJs 7 years ago that are now 8' tall.

~SH~

rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby rancher » Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:15 pm

SH, what do you mean on the fabric, a ground cover?

~SH~

Postby ~SH~ » Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:22 pm

No, I am talking about using the fabric mesh that is made out of the same material as the old black plastic baler twine. It's 6' wide and blocks the weed growth. After you plant the trees, you roll the fabric over the trees. Then you take a knife and slit the fabric and pull the trees through. Don't get too far ahead of yourself if you are planting on a hot day as the trees can bake under the hot fabric. This fabric not only blocks weed growth for 3' on both sides of the tree but pulls moisture from the ground to the surface.

Also pay attention to tree spacing and row spacing. I would allow at least 18' between rows to give the snow room to dump and I would plant the RMJs at least 8' apart. Old tree spacing recommendations figured half the trees would die. Nowdays, a 90% take on new plantings of RMJs is very common.

~SH~

Chuckie

Postby Chuckie » Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:25 pm

i'll have to get a tree book and ID what i have in there--there's not the first evergreen, the oldest (biggest) trees are 50' tall at least, not dead, but the undergrowth is what is worrying me the most--see-you all are already helping me define the problem.
how does this RMJ take partial shade? and is it as prolific as the cedar and mulberry around here? ie, once it gets a hold, you can't stop it spreading? is hackberry a bush or tree? i haven't messed with this shelterbelt simply because it gives shelter to both turkeys and pheasants and i don't want to screw it up for them. BTW, liberty belle-no hunting on my huge acreage..! the dogs would get 'em!

~SH~

Postby ~SH~ » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:15 pm

What locals call "cedar trees" are mostly Rocky Mountain Juniper.

Hackberrys are a medium heigth hardwood tree

Not sure how RMJs would take partial shade.

~SH~

Return to “Ranch Talk”