Ranchers.net Bull Session

Ranch chore question

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Sandhusker
Rancher
Rancher

Ranch chore question

Postby Sandhusker » Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:50 pm

We replaced a stock tank today. Two of us got it loaded on the trailer easily, strapped it down and got it to the place with no troubles. We got the old tank drained, dug out and dragged away - took about 15 minutes. The new tank pretty much fell into place - we only had to drag it about 3 feet and it was in place and nice and level. It was just too easy and there wasn't even a trivial wreck - just scary. We just knew it went too easy and the shoe had to fall sometime, but it looks to be a done deal now. Has anybody else experienced a similar happening where absolutly nothing went wrong? Can we quit looking over our shoulder? :shock:
Everything I post is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

PPRM
Rancher
Rancher

Postby PPRM » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:39 pm

Dean Martin had a quote. "I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up, that's as good as they'll feel all day."

Not sure how this applies, but it came to mind.
The difference between a rut and a grave is the depth

PPRM

Jake

Postby Jake » Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:28 pm

I don't we've ever gotten a single thing done without some sort of mishap... well... yeah, never. Came close a time or two but close only counts with horse shoes and hand grenades

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:46 pm

knock on wood. We've been there and done that. Nice to know we aren't the only ones with probs...Our neighbors like to make themselves as perfect as they don't EVER talk about "those" things.

nr
Rancher
Rancher

Postby nr » Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:47 am

"Our neighbors like to make themselves as perfect as they don't EVER talk about "those" things."

Isn't that the truth- I like talking to people who are "real" about the ups AND downs of life. Congratulations on your procedure going well. A blessing to remember.

Clarence

Ranch work

Postby Clarence » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:58 am

Congradulations

For me, what looks to be a fifteen minute job, most always takes all afternoon.

cowboy

a little luck

Postby cowboy » Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:08 pm

Last week was trying to get in 4 rather high headed 5 wt strs. Enticed 3 into corral with feed and caught them but one did not cooperate at all and would not come in. Left gate open and feed and hay in corral hoping I could catch him in sometime. Next morning when I went there noticed that the gate I had left open had blown shut and I did not see the calf anywhere so I supposed he got out of the pasture where I had last seen him. Upon closer inspection, I found him trapped in the corral. That's never happened before and I doubt it will ever happen again.

nr
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Ranch work

Postby nr » Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:17 pm

Clarence wrote:Congradulations

For me, what looks to be a fifteen minute job, most always takes all afternoon.

Clarence that just proves you're an optimist! :roll:

Charlie

sometimes things just work out

Postby Charlie » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:04 am

A couple years ago during calving, we were trying to get a wild cow in. She managed to get into the colt pen with 10 horses, 2 yrs and younger. I was sure they would send her over the south fence and she would be gone forever. We worked for 45 minutes to get her our of there when suddenly one of my buckskin yearlings left the other horses and worked that cow right where she needed to go. We just looked at each other and said "What just happened here"??

Brad S

Postby Brad S » Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:03 am

Jim Shoulders says a bucket full of luck beats a truckload of skill everyday. When skill gets lucky, you got life rolling downhill. Sandhusker, I'm like you, seasoned enough to mistrust an assload of goodluck.

the_jersey_lilly_2000
Rancher
Rancher

Postby the_jersey_lilly_2000 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:30 am

Heres one for ya'll....last saturday had the syrup man come out and fill our lick tank...he came..he left..nothin outta the ordinary...we went to the coop to git a few fencing supplies and came back to put up an electric fence. Got it done somewhere round 7:30 pm (after dark) told son to go park tractor up by the working pens and on his way back on foot.....he passed the lick tank.....Gets to where we are n says, "mom, think we got one with a broke leg"...I said huh? how? where? when???...he says..well she's got her leg stuck in the fill hole of the syrup lick and has fell down...sure nuff back left leg in hole......n she fell off on her left side....all twisted.....took over an hour to git her out..after pullin n yankin..puttin a strap on her and lifting her with tractor bale fork...ended up having to cut the hole bigger to git foot out......Hubby come to the conclusion....(once again) that cows aint the brightest critters walkin on 4 legs...hehe Ya gotta smile tho after somethin like that...just how freak accidentish is that....I told him...she was table dancin..and she just must not be able to "hold her molasses"
Life is a roller coaster.
You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it!
¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸
"Ever day's a good day, just some are better'n others"

Running Arrow

Postby Running Arrow » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:02 pm

Haven't had any mishaps with hauling stuff or adding stock tank. Always double check trailers and rope stuff we're hauling to make sure it doesn't fall off trailer.

Last year had about a one month old longhorn calf that came rushing to the fence faster than mama could redirect her. She forgot she had brakes...sommersaulted BETWEEN lower two barb wires and twisted two strand around her front legs and landed on my side of fence. No injury. Mama looked at calf like "Stupid Kid!". Took me about 5 min to unwind calf from wires...

Know of a cattle "rancher" that is long on ideas and short on $$ (and priorities) and time (has absentee job)... He just has about one disaster after another about every other week...cow got stuck in pond and died...ran out of hay and neighbor kid delivered hay and stole some feed...take registered animals to sale barn because he mis-appropriated his budget and didn't have enough $$ to pay electric bill...loans $$ to girlfriend and then tries to borrow $$ from another person to pay his bills....could go on and on...lol. (Reminds me of my last wife---trouble came to her like a loose magnet...).
Bill Martin
Running Arrow Farm
Wellington, TX 79095
Registered Texas Longhorns & Gaited Horses
TAHC TB Accredited & Brucellosis Certified Free Herd

Return to “Ranch Talk”