Ranchers.net Bull Session

Any Bronc Saddles Gathering Dust?

Stories and questions about our best friends.
Oldtimer

Postby Oldtimer » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:06 pm

If you ever want rodeo equipment go to a College town that has a college rodeo team--then keep checking the pawnshops- you can find some really good equipment ---cheap, cheap...

I must have a half dozen bareback riggings, dozen sets of assorted bull riding, bareback or bronc spurs, bullropes and bells, a couple saddles and chaps, pads, halters I have loaned out to high school and kids starting out-- most were picked up for a dime on a dollar at pawn shops-- all I ask from them is they give them back if they quit or get better equipment- so I can keep outfitting kids... I can remember back 40 years ago trying to rivet and sew my own stuff together because I couldn't afford it......

I was extremely proud the other day when the kid hung up his bareback rigging after 20 years and gave it to a high school sophmore- but told him when he was done with it to give it to me so someone can continue to use it..... :D

User avatar
Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 27781
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:21 pm
Location: SE MT

Postby Faster horses » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:45 pm

You are a pretty awesome guy, OT. What a neat thing to do, helping the kids out like you have.
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

Oldtimer

Postby Oldtimer » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:02 pm

Faster horses wrote:You are a pretty awesome guy, OT. What a neat thing to do, helping the kids out like you have.


Nope- I Just remember what learning by hard knocks and living off tube steaks was for years- and then the help ( Benny and John Reynolds, Ed Solomon, Jack Bloxham, Larry Kane, etc. etc.) and the opportunity rodeo gave me in college and the chance to see much of the nation, I would never otherwise have saw- and I want to see a lot of kids stay involved in rodeo- even those that may not have the ranch background but have the try...

User avatar
Team1roper
Member
Member
Posts: 270
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:45 am
Location: South TX

Postby Team1roper » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:06 am

Couldn't have said it better OT
I sure miss the friday evenings throwing my bag in the truck and hauling to the rodeo
Wouldn't have traveled much here if it were not for the rodeo and the army
I wouldn't trade it for the world.
If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging.

greg
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 1064
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:13 pm
Location: Alberta Canada

Postby greg » Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:42 pm

Mrs.Greg wrote:Will keep an eye out for you NR. Davy Shields has a store that has used Bronc and Bare saddles...It called High Point Saddlery. He was in Bashaw until recently..greg thinks Cockrane now. Greg racking his brain seen one can't remember where,if the lightbulb comes on we'll let you know.
Light bulb came on!It is a used not abused "Allan Parsley" from Great Falls,Montana.Never heard of guy actually,never rode his saddle--But did take time to go look at and it is a solid saddle.Want $1200 Canadian-worth $1000-in my humble opinion.It is a 16 and half seat by my quick arm measurement?But kids now adays fit em?---Now that I am re-readin' this-what is a bare saddle? Girls.Anyway- interested,can pick up,only 1 hour away

RoperAB
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 1435
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:10 am
Location: Alberta

Postby RoperAB » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:13 pm

1800(661)7939 and ask for Steward. He generally has a few second hand ones kicking around. Not sure if he has any right now but its worth a phone call. He is in AB and they do mail order all the time.
"Canada is like an old cow. The West feeds it. Ontario and Quebec milk it. And you can well imagine what it's doing on the Maritimes."
-Former Saskatchewan premier Tommy Douglas

User avatar
Mrs.Greg
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 7465
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:02 pm
Location: Alberta

Postby Mrs.Greg » Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:07 pm

greg wrote:
Mrs.Greg wrote:Will keep an eye out for you NR. Davy Shields has a store that has used Bronc and Bare saddles...It called High Point Saddlery. He was in Bashaw until recently..greg thinks Cockrane now. Greg racking his brain seen one can't remember where,if the lightbulb comes on we'll let you know.
Light bulb came on!It is a used not abused "Allan Parsley" from Great Falls,Montana.Never heard of guy actually,never rode his saddle--But did take time to go look at and it is a solid saddle.Want $1200 Canadian-worth $1000-in my humble opinion.It is a 16 and half seat by my quick arm measurement?But kids now adays fit em?---Now that I am re-readin' this-what is a bare saddle? Girls.Anyway- interested,can pick up,only 1 hour away
OOPPPSSSS,bareback riggin...Excuse me :pretty: Like you always say Hon...take the girl out of the city

Oldtimer

Postby Oldtimer » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:37 pm

Mrs.Greg wrote:
greg wrote:
Mrs.Greg wrote:Will keep an eye out for you NR. Davy Shields has a store that has used Bronc and Bare saddles...It called High Point Saddlery. He was in Bashaw until recently..greg thinks Cockrane now. Greg racking his brain seen one can't remember where,if the lightbulb comes on we'll let you know.
Light bulb came on!It is a used not abused "Allan Parsley" from Great Falls,Montana.Never heard of guy actually,never rode his saddle--But did take time to go look at and it is a solid saddle.Want $1200 Canadian-worth $1000-in my humble opinion.It is a 16 and half seat by my quick arm measurement?But kids now adays fit em?---Now that I am re-readin' this-what is a bare saddle? Girls.Anyway- interested,can pick up,only 1 hour away
OOPPPSSSS,bareback riggin...Excuse me :pretty: Like you always say Hon...take the girl out of the city


I'm not familiar with those girls bare saddles- is this a Canuck thing I missed :wink: :???:

the closest I saw was when we were back east and a bunch of Montreal girls showed up at Woodstown- "pretended" they couldn't speak English- but got their point across that they wanted to sit on our horses as we were waiting for the dogging to start-- all wearing very short short skirts...As the first was helped to swing aboard it became apparent that Montreal girls were too poor to buy undies, which almost caused a fist fight for positioning horses to watch the others swing aboard :wink:

Not a dogger caught a steer that night- but these young ladies were nice enough to stay around and give us french lessons- and you know cowboys, they'll help out any lady in distress :wink: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Northern Rancher
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 12247
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:39 pm
Location: saskatchewan
Contact:

Postby Northern Rancher » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:54 pm

Well Ty just got home and he's leading the saddle bronc in Rosthern lol. He said his horse gave a big rare out and then just crowhopped but he got him marked out and covered. He maybe should quit while he's ahead-I get to see him tomorrow got our synched heifers all bred tonight.

greg
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 1064
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:13 pm
Location: Alberta Canada

Postby greg » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:42 am

Northern Rancher wrote:Well Ty just got home and he's leading the saddle bronc in Rosthern lol. He said his horse gave a big rare out and then just crowhopped but he got him marked out and covered. He maybe should quit while he's ahead-I get to see him tomorrow got our synched heifers all bred tonight.
8) Well now that he has that sound of the spur rowels in his head he won't be much help to yu on the weekends.Been there

User avatar
Northern Rancher
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 12247
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:39 pm
Location: saskatchewan
Contact:

Postby Northern Rancher » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:49 am

Ohh he's a pretty good scout about getting his work done too-we've already had the 'rodeo bum doesn't look good on a resume' talk lol. The funniest thing was him telling me he when he was 11 he was going to build the town a new rink with his steer riding winnings.

User avatar
Northern Rancher
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 12247
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:39 pm
Location: saskatchewan
Contact:

Postby Northern Rancher » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:55 pm

Image

Here's Ty marking out his first bronc ever-'Bugle Boy'.


Return to “Horses & Dogs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests