Ranchers.net Bull Session

Picture of puppy

Stories and questions about our best friends.
Hanta Yo
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Hanta Yo » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:42 pm

TTB,
Our little doggie loves to chase the turkeys out of our yard. He is very aggressive and will not quit. When we work cattle in the alleyway, he is busy running around, back and forth across the alleyway and biting the bovines on their noses. He hasn't figured out that he needs to be BEHIND them to make them go forward, but he is smart; he can't get kicked being behind them. LOL. He is so CUTE!!! At 2 1/2 years he is soooooooooo CUUUUTE!!! We don't leave him home anymore because we learned early (just as FH's daughter's dog) he gets mad and chews up things, like my briefcase I use for brand inspecting. Finally got a new one for Christmas (briefcase) but I felt bad about the old one cuz my hubby loaned it to me (even tho it was his pup who ate it). In Billings at the Darigold plant there is a statue of a Holstein on the roof. Every time we go by it our Pembroke Welsh goes "whoooooof" and starts whining. Apparently in his eyes, cows don't belong on roofs of buildings in Billings, Montana.
Our Pembroke is a part of the family, and has so much personality he is almost human. When spouse and I are talking about him in his presence, he has his "sad look" on his face. I tell you what, I think our doggie knows english!!!
Because he is such a low rider, everytime we work cows he HAS to get a bath because he STINKS!! He has his little bed in our bedroom beside our bed. When I am gone for a couple of days, guess who lets him sleep on MY side??!!! :wink:

Whoopie Ki Yi Yo, get a loongggg little doggie.
'It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession.
I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.'
-Ronald Reagan

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:24 pm

That was one cute stor(ies!) And I agree, they can almost talk!!

One of the dogs bred like our pup, the owner said could actually count!!
He would tell the dog to get the fifth calf in the alley or the fourth or the sixth and he never missed!!!

Dog are pretty awesome when their owners spend a little time with developing their personalities.

Like a good friend said once, "You can go home and everyone will be mad at you, but here comes ole' dog~~wiggling along, glad to be your friend."

sw
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sw » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:14 pm

go back to why men will have one wife and two or more dogs, I think that was while you were gone.
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE. FREEDOM IS BOUGHT AND PAID FOR BY THE BRAVE SO THE FREE CAN BE FREE.

Aaron

Postby Aaron » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:36 pm

Faster horses,

Our wonderful old girl. Pics taken June 2004 at 13 years, 8 months.

Thought about just going straight Sheltie for the next one, but the colouration of them seems to be all over the place with half black faces and spots of sorts. The only ones they show you in advertisements are the good looking, miniature Lassie-looking types.

Turkey Track Bar
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Turkey Track Bar » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:30 am

Hanta Yo:

Great story about your corgi---Holly doesn't get left free to romp-she does get mad when we leave or if my husband goes out to do chores or work without her! Holy cow she stands at the door and barks up a storm. I'm afraid if we did leave her "free to roam" that our house would be destroyed! She pretty much goes everywhere with us. She's a really good traveler-probably better than the hubby!

Aaron:

Nice pics of your "lady" what was her name? When are you going to get a new pup to continue her legacy? Probably the hardest thing to lose is a good dog-I've lost an awesome beagle that I got from an aunt and uncle for my third birthday and a border collie named Joker-she was a tremendous dog-our first border collie and did she ever train us well!

Faster Horses:

Will your pup be counting soon? Tell us if she does-what a fasinating story!

Well everyone, I tried to upload the pic. of the little Corgi--it's my maiden venture into avatar land so I hope it worked!

Have a great day! It looks like it'll be another beautiful day here !

TTB

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:43 am

What a wonderful start to my day, looking at good dogs and reading stories from those who appreciate them!!

Those Corgie's, as I said, they just don't get any cuter! And for the amount of personalities they have, they should be big dogs to contain it all!! Don't you wonder sometimes how they hold all those ears up? Gosh, they are too cute to be believed!

As for Aarons dog, doesn't she just have that 'proud look' of a dog that has been a good one and knows it? She looks like a Duchess or a Queen. I have never seen that cross before. Interesting~You can just see her personality shining through.

Thanks, everyone, for sharing!! I thoroughly enjoyed looking at the fine dogs.

And yes, what are their names? Might help me come up with one that will stick! LOL 'Dusty' has lasted a couple of days now. And when she plays with the big dog and he rolls her over, 'Dusty' is very fitting. However, yesterday he rolled her into the only mud puddle on the place. Then she was pretty wet. Didn't like it much, either and she tore after him with her teeth just snapping!!!

My husband is halter breaking some colts right now, and Dusty has already learned what 'Back!' means. If she goes in there with him and the colts, he sternly tells her "Back" and she just scoots right under the round pen~gets the heck out of Dodge! It is funny.

She is pretty fast~almost can get in the tractor by herself now too. She is so brave~and agile.

S.S.A.P.

Postby S.S.A.P. » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:47 am

Hope this works Faster horses.
If it does here's the 'chassis' for faster horses' pup avatar.

nr
Rancher
Rancher

Postby nr » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:05 pm

About dog's minds and their communication, our now deceased dog for some reason never ever chewed things, even as a pup. But she didn't like being left behind. Her way of showing her displeasure was to get on our bed ( a no-no) and instead of just secretly sleeping there in our absence, she'd take any one of my shoes up and leave it on the bed. Never chewed it, just left it as her calling card. Of course, then we'd know she'd been where she wasn't allowed, she'd get yelled at, slink away with tail between her legs. She'd reappear in about 10 minutes all awaggle figuring her time-out was over. We had to laugh seeing her come back after the coast was clear! :lol:

Aaron

Postby Aaron » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:51 pm

Our pup's name was Sheba. I don't think there was any real reason why we named her that, I just remember that it was suggested by my parents to stop the siblings from fighting about it in the back of the car in 1990 as we brought her home from the vet. :P

Don't know when we will get a new dog. Kind of nice to take a break from the responsibilities of looking after something so dependable, for a while. Would like to maybe go out west this summer, maybe pay whiteface a visit. :D

For as long as I can remember, we never had that dog inside until her final years, and even then, only during the winter. She never left the yard or went on the road. We could go for a weekend and always expect her to wait for us on the front steps. When ever I went hunting/rounding up/fence mending....she never seemed to go more about 300 feet from my side..and even if I couldn't see her when I left the area to go home, she would some how know I was leaving and be hot on my trail.

The way that dog tracked, I could have sworn she had bloodhound in her veins.

Hanta Yo
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Hanta Yo » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:19 pm

FH,
Your pup is soooo CUUUTE! like the blown up image. Since it was hard to see what our Corgi looks like, got a picture of him early this fall with his "doggles" on. When we run around in the 6-wheeler in the fall tagging newborn calves, he sits on the floor with him head poking out looking ahead. Keeps the bugs from hitting his eyes. His name is Corky the Corgi, by the way. We also have Shelly the Sheltie. :)

-Ronald Reagan

Hanta Yo
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Hanta Yo » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:23 pm

TTB- your pup is SOOOOOOOOO CUUUUTE! As my daughter would say, it's nose is soooo BEEPABLE! Love those little ears standing up. When we got ours at 6 weeks it seemed to take forever for his ears to stand up and stay up! :D

-Ronald Reagan

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:43 pm

Hanta Yo, that Corgi with the 'doggles' is dog-gone cute!!

We had a Heeler-Catahoula Cross (my husband always maintains that I heard the ad wrong and she was a Heeler-Chiauaua cross-I can't spell it but you know what I mean;) that was a real kick in the pants. She was a born comedian. We think she would have made a great dog for a rodeo clown. If you laughed, she did it!! Anyway, she would wear glasses and wear them carefully. We called her 'Cat' and I think she thought she was one. Some of the things she did...if you were looking over the corral at something, she would climb up there, hang on, and look with you. And then walk down the corral poles, just like a cat. She turned somersaults, she would ride in the back of the pickup and if you were at home going slow, she would climb over the top of the cab, slide down the window and look at you through the windshield. Another thing she got really good at--in W. Montana the summers were pretty much cool enough we didn't have air conditioning in our pickup so rode with the windows down. The 1972 and 1973 Ford pickups had the neck of the gas tank which stuck out a bit where the gas cap went on, between the box
and the cab. She would be in the back, lean out and step on the gas cap and jump in the window and then act like it was a big joke!!!

She was black and white speckled, we called her the "Speckled Ninny" sometimes. She was truly a character. If I can figure how to do it, I will post a picture of her doing something crazy!!

She was by the gas tank one day with my husband and let out a little yip. She then ran down to the creek and dropped her butt in the water and wiggled it around. A bee must have stung her, is all we could figure out. It was so funny!!

Return to “Horses & Dogs”