Ranchers.net Bull Session

Border Collie - Sheltie MIx

Stories and questions about our best friends.
billburnham

Border Collie - Sheltie MIx

Postby billburnham » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:16 am

I'm thinking about breeding my female Border Collie with my male Sheltie. Has anyone had any expereince with this mix. I would love to hear about what kind of dog this makes. PIcture of one would be great!

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:56 pm

Years ago I used to raise Shelties. Must have been in the early 70's because we had a terrible spring blizzard in 1973. My dog was in heat and we turned her outside while we went to dig out. We had snow drifts so high the kids could climb up and touch the telephone lines; we had 98 mph winds. Well, I'm getting off the subject.

Anyway, we were across the creek when I looked over by the house and my sheltie and the neighbor's border collie were having a great time. Nothing I could do about it, so she had the pups and they turned out to be great dogs. Especially great sheep dogs. I didn't have any trouble getting rid of them, of course I couldn't sell them at that time, but they sure turned out well. One in particular really had a fine reputation. The guy that owned her spent alot of time training her. I remember that he was under a catapiller working on it and something fell out of it and the dog grabbed his coat sleeve and tried to pull him out from under the cat. She was really worried something had happened to him.

But I don't think I have any pictures. They were all sable colored, and shorter than a border collie. But good dogs, all.

cherbmn

Postby cherbmn » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:00 pm

Hi - Sorry to be so late to this board, but I wanted to tell you about our dog Casey (female), a border collie/sheltie mix. We got her as a puppy six years ago. Nice size - about 45 pounds - big enough to hike with us for hours, small enough to be cute. She is the most obedient, intelligent, loving dog we (and most others) have ever seen. She has been our dear companion - wonderful with kids, adults and other dogs. We could not have asked for a better dog. She wants nothing more than to please us in every way. She also loves to play and is a great Frisbee catcher! Today we just found out Casey has lymphoma cancer. We are looking at treatment options but know that we probably won't have our girl around for as long as we hoped. If you ever do decide to breed your dogs, could you please let me know? Casey looks like a miniature collie and gets called "Lassie" often (same coloring as Lassie).

Paula Marie

sheltie-border collie mix

Postby Paula Marie » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:41 am

This was a "once in a lifetime" dog that I will miss to the very end of my days. He was beautiful, sensitive, clever, intelligent, and very, very funny! He had a sense of humor, too, and I never remember having any dog before with such a great personality and he was very, very expressive emotionally. He was so eager to please and had a very tender conscience. He had all the wits of a border collie and all the sweetness of a sheltie. He could not bear it if someone was mad at him and was a bit neurotic and spooky in a very cute way. He was a flyball champion and my best friend. He was a lot like a soul mate and never left my side, very obedient. As a puppy he was nightmarish, more like a border collie, sassy, naughty, with a fondness for theft (which he maintained his whole life). As he grew older he became so biddable that friends called him a "mama's boy." Affectionate to the extreme and he wanted to be a lap dog at 55 pounds. He had unusual quirks like a border collie and always kept me laughing. He loved to go places but never ran away. His body looked just like a black and white border collie, while his face was tri-colored with tan cheeks and eyebrows. His fur was lovely and long. He had black almond- shaped eyes full of hell fire and mischievous lights! He had such a great spirit. God, I miss him! There never was a better dog. I wish this mix of dog was more available.

jamiehuggins

Postby jamiehuggins » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:44 pm

I have a dog that either has to be a border collie colored sheltie or a border collie sheltie mix. I have pictures of her but I don't know how to post them with this text. I have had her for a couple months and am trying to find a new home for her so I haven't spent a tremendous amount of time with her, but she has picked up on a few things very quickly. Other things, not so much. She is very cute and wants to be with people but is also pretty timid which makes it hard for me to correct her. She gets so worried about what I'm doing when she is in trouble that I'm sure she has no idea what I'm trying to correct even if I catch her doing something she isn't suppose to be doing, like getting on the bed. I know I've never abused her and I don't think her previous owner did either. So as far as training her I would have to spend more time than I have to teach her the things that my b.c. has already picked up. Anyhow I will try to post some pictures of her in the photo gallery, :lol: I know how to do that. [/img]

TXTibbs
Rancher
Rancher

Postby TXTibbs » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:11 am

Faster horses wrote:We had snow drifts so high the kids could climb up and touch the telephone lines;

Hmmm that just don't seem like a good idea at all Faster.....momma always told us never to touch the power lines :wink: :wink: Yur kids got all their limbs? :shock:

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:44 am

Tibbs, did you read telephone lines not power lines? :?
I only have one kid and maybe touching that phone line did
affect her, now that you mention it. :wink:

I have pictures of her and the neighbor kids on top of the drift touching the phone lines.

My family lived in Miles City, Mt. for a short while when I was very young.
We lived in a trailer court and a trailer moved out. It had rained and
all the kids lined up (for whatever reason, I do not know) and put
their finger in the plug in socket where the trailer had been hooked to
electricity. Everything went well, because those kids had on tennis shoes.
But not me. :shock: When it was my turn, I lit up like a light bulb.
Luckily, some little 6 year old girl threw herself at me and knocked m
away from the electricity. If she had grabbed ahold of me, they say
we would have both been toast. I've thought of her often, and I wish
I know who she was, so I could thank her. But it will be a mystery that
is never solved, most likely.

So, yes, I know about kids and electricity. :shock:
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

TXTibbs
Rancher
Rancher

Postby TXTibbs » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:18 am

Ahhhh ok telephone lines....hmmm where I came from the telephone lines were burried! Besides my folks usually had us so scared of electricity that if there was any wire besides barbed wire strung anywhere you didn't touch it because it was most certainly going to lead to electrical death! I can remember as a kid always wanting to toss a throw rope over the power lines just to see the fire works, but never did ever get enough courage to actually do it...prolly for the best :roll: :wink: :twisted:

lightninboy

Postby lightninboy » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:04 pm

I think a Sheltie can be a stockdog if it is raised around stock and encouraged to chase stock.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:24 pm

I don't think 'chase' is the proper word for a cowdog.
Perhaps 'work' is better than 'chase.' I don't like that
visual. :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

lightninboy

Postby lightninboy » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:17 pm

A Sheltie has to have guts to stand up against cattle. I think it's got to like to chase them to have enough guts.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:13 pm

You are kidding right? A good dog has to have control and chasing is
not usually a controlled situation.

Oh well. You let your dog 'chase' your cattle. We'll let ours 'work'
our cattle... :P

Return to “Horses & Dogs”